Complete France Forum

No decision on 5,5% TVA yet

Val_2

Contrary to what you may have heard, read in the papers or on forums there is still NO definate decision to keeping the lower rate after 31.12.05. We knew there were to be three meetings before end of December and I have received today, urgent communications from our CAPEB branch to continue lobbying the government ept of L'Economie des Finances et de l'Industrie by sending off the prepaid postcards again. So be prepared if you are considering a large renovation project in France that you may end up finding an extra pot of money if you have already calculated on the lower rate.

Yes I received mine from the Capeb  sent it off this morning. If everyone replies there should be 100,000 postcards arriving at the desk of the minister lobbying to keep the rate at 5.5%!!!

It is most likely to continue according to all the experts I have spoken too. The other member states could vote against it, but France even if voted out, will most likely ignore the EU directive and continue with the lower rate as it has had many benefits to their economy, as well as stopping the demise of many businesses if the lower rate is stopped.

Still anything could happen so watch this space!

Archived