Complete France Forum

compulsory purchase of building land

Farmer

I own a small holiday home in the Lot department, in a tiny hamlet of about 10 houses.  The reason my wife and I like it is because it is so peaceful.   To our dismay, the land behind our house has recently been designated as AU0 (that is, reserve building land for the commune).  To prevent our tranquility being interrupted, I am currently in negotiation with the owner, to purchase the land.  All the terms have been agreed, and the contract is to be signed in February.

However, I have heard that it is possible for the Mairie to expropriate land from the owner if it is deemed necessary, to provide housing in the commune.  My question is, can the land be compulsorily purchased, and if so, does the Mairie have to pay the going rate for building land?

I should be grateful for any advice or comments on this matter.

As a local councillor I can confirm that the mairie does have first refusal on all local property and land purchase and compulsory orders for other items such as a piece of private land for a new road etc. As for price, this is negotiable but is then passed on through the price for the parcels for private lotissements or to the HLM company for their housing projects.

Archived