Complete France Forum

Fosse

Gondrin

We have had our application for a new fosse returned with some additional questions three of which I am not sure about.

They ask if the test hole to gain a soil profile was made by drill or by a JCB digger. It was actually dug by hand: does it matter how it was dug?

They ask if we tested for the plasticity of the clay: is there any way this can be done other than by an expert?

And they wanted to know if there were any "traces d'hydromorphie" and at what depth. I do not know what this means (nor does my wife who is French).

We have tried to avoid paying an exorbitant amount for a soil study and I suppose that they (the Services des Eaux et de l'assainissement) might not like this, although our presentation was praised by the clerk at the Marie.

Any advice would be helpful.

hi

best thing i can say is go and see your mayor , why?? because ours has decided all new fosse `s must have a filter system regardless , so you could be wasting money ,

here in 79 you just go and see S.V.L. the local authoritory and they will tell you what you want ... but like i have said in earlier posts they are now clamping down ,and will most prob want a filter bed system . the standard system they want..

dave

Every area has designated a competent authority to control private drainage systems. They may have different names but their role is to advise on new systems, check existing systems, and on an on-going basis re-inspect systems every few years. they will be funded by the new drainage tax being brought in for everybody not connected to mains drainage.

I suspect that Gondrin is already dealing with thge apprpriate body, and it is they who are asking the questions so as to specify the sytem that will be required.

Every area has designated a competent authority to control private drainage systems. They may have different names but their role is to advise on new systems, check existing systems, and on an ongoing basis reinspect systems every few years. they will be funded by the new drainage tax being brought in for everybody not connected to mains drainage.

I suspect that Gondrin is already dealing with the appropriate body, and it is they who are asking the questions so as to specify the system that will be required.

"Competent authority" , that's a laugh. My experience is that they can't read plans, specify components that are unobtainable and alter dimensions on the fiche technique so that they no longer add up.

I really can't see why they would be asking for such info if they're going to insist on a sandpit anyway.

Gondrin, before I can say any further I'd need to know the original instructions ( on the application form probably) that you got for doing the soil test. Also have they been out to visit yet. They have to come out within 2 months of recieving a completed application. My guess is that they are inundated with work and trying to buy some extra time.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the mairie has anything to do with it any more - they just pass the application on. We have applied for a filter bed system (and was advised on the application by my wife's uncle who is mayor of another commune). It is to be put in by a local and reputable compmany. We have not had a soil test form but they clearly want a permeability test which I can do and a plasticity test which I cannot do at the moment(because I don't know how). There is also the issue of how the hole was dug which they seem interested in. All the rest of the queries are simple clarifications. They have not visited the site as far as I know. They do seem to be being very picky and perhaps they are trying to buy time. I think there is also a principle here: there is nothing in law (as far as I know) to stop one doing the tests oneself: however, I suspect they don't like it much and might be trying to discourage people from doing it. I am not trying to bypass any law - I want a sound and legal drainage system: I just don't want to be paying out money that I do not need to.

Archived