Complete France Forum

windows

Guest CFrost

Hi everyone, we are due to land on tues permanently and will be starting renovations in earnest! With this in mind, can anyone recommend a local (or further afield) artisan/company that could quote and supply for pvc double glazing.  We will be looking at some windows 2.5mtr x 2.5mtr so they will need to be made to measure (couldn't see any ready mades at brico depot only kidding!) Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, we are in the gemozac area.

thanks in advance

kimberley

Most people use wood for their windows and they are much easier to buy off the shelf in all sorts of sizes and styles. We 'were' going for a huge UPVC window from a very very local producer but have found an artisan who will make in wood - as we found it much easier to deal with him than the other manufacturer.

Best of luck - but wood is easier to source and normally far quicker to obtain even if bespoke.

hi, Kimberley, you could try Cesar Deco at Saujon, just up the road from Chadeniers, they are very reasonable for windows and wood if you need any!!!!!   Im not sure if they fit windows or not, but i just wondered  if it would be cheaper to buy them yourselves and then get someone to fit them.

Good luck with your hunting.

Emma Pons 17

It seems to me that the French have just discovered uPVC and are fitting it everywhere as they are fed up with the maintenance needed with wooden windows, just like the UK 30 years ago. Many of us Brits (who probably had uPVC in the UK) are now back to buying environmentally friendly and, in some cases, traditional wooden windows (I say this loosely as most of the wooden windows available in the bricos aren't traditional by any means and the wood used doesn't always come from environmentally managed forests).

Sorry, jetlag, this isn't getting at you, just an observation from going round the bricos. Lapeyre make uPVC to measure, but you may find the size you want locally.

Wise words Zeb and I am with you all the way. I think it has been noted that traditional wooden frames actually last longer than uPVC.

One of my pet hates, lovely old charentaise houses and barns fitted with uPVC patio doors (and windows)

Jetlag, back to your request, there's a shop in Gemozac that has a display of windows and doors in both wood and uPVC, which I guess they make and fit to order. It's in the same street as the English Epicerie.

Gill

Thanks all for your replies and lessons on enviromental issues. Whilst I appreciate the debates regards wood v Upvc our situtaion requires 21 windows 2 patio doors and 4 outer doors. I am sure you can see that even a little saving on maintainance times would be of great advantage to us and therfore hope that you can forgive me for using Upvc at the reccomendation of the Marie

Not getting at anyone

Phil

[quote]I'd be very interested to know how ell uPVC stands up to exposure from hot direct sunlight over a period of time, its no coincidence that pvc guttering is rarely used in the south, lthough sold, due t...[/quote]

When did you last see a uPVC window over 20 years old?

How long do you think the rubber seals will last?

Have you ever seen a good looking uPVC window?

When I eventually found a decent window shop (actually a great establishment and not like a “shop”, more a warehouse selling all wooden house components, door, stairs, etc. and windows), they had such a good range of sizes of windows (including large ones) that I did not need custom built ones. They had an “off the shelf” size that was close enough where all the Bricos would have needed a custom build with the associated extra costs. Also decent quality. Actually about the same price as the bricos but much much better quality.

I live far to far for my place to be any use to you but you may easily find somewhere that does the size you want (or close enough) off the shelf.

Ian

When did you last see a uPVC window over 20 years old?

Got 'em in my house here in the UK, some 25 years old now in my dad's house.
How long do you think the rubber seals will last?

They aren't rubber, they are neoprene. All are EASILY replaceable. They certainly last longer than putty, and need no maintenance.

Have you ever seen a good looking uPVC window?

Yep, many. You can now get them in a woodgrain pattern that I'd defy you to recognise as UPVC from further away than 6 feet.

Alcazar

Archived