Complete France Forum

Ooops sorry Huile de Lin!

Mustang sally

Castorama, Bricomarché, Leroy Merlin all stock it - albeit in small bottles - they maybe have larger containers but I only needed a small quantity and it cam in a 250ml(roughly) glass bottle - somehwre in the paints and finishes section if I remember correctly

...we bought a 5 litre bottle of linseed oil from Les Mousquetaire BricoMarche...

If the oak is dry...   would you paint/spray/rub it with terebenthine first?  I don't know I'm just asking... I mean I would definitely do that if I were applying a wax to a thirsty wood... and I recently applied linseed oil (and burnished it) to a kitchen chopping table but it wasn't old and thirsty... or is this like mixing oil and water... in which case would you wet the oak before adding the oil, so that as the wood "dries" it draws the oil in?

anyone any thoughts?  I've a few smoked or painted beams I'm about to sandblast this Jan...

David

I’ve been using quite a bit of Teak Oil and Deks Olje D1 recently and had quite a hunt to find in in the Bricos. They all have it but what threw me off was that it was in the garden (or outdoor paints) section and I sort of expected it to be with the wood finishes bit.

I don’t know about linseed oil (as I don’t use it myself), but I have found that different manufacturers Teak Oils vary quite a lot. Diamond is quite thick and sticky (dries fine), V33 is thinner and cloudy and takes longer to dry. Another manufacturer is good stuff and dries quite quickly (without going sticky when you put too much on). Point is that you might want to try/test what you get on some test timber before using it on your Oak beams. I’ve not tested different manufacturers Teak Oil on e.g. two ends of the same bit of wood so don’t know if they give different finishes, but might be worth staying with the same manufacturer for all your wood. Maybe Linseed Oils will not vary in the same way.

Ian

Archived