Complete France Forum

Canal Tile Ridge Repairs - Advice please...!

Vienne_Billygoats

Hi,

I have to replace several ridge tiles and associated canal tiles after the weekends winds & fair wear & tear I am afraid - so not really insurable.

I am comfortable at height & have adequate professional scaffolding, minitowers & ladders/ridge ladders to access the job safely.

However, I have only re-tiled our previous houses with Sussex peg - type tiles, and really want some smart tips on how to access various areas of our roof, whilst doing the minimum damage to the existing tiling.

I need to mortar up under several ridge tiles, and replace some tiles at the corners, and errant ones in the middle of the pitch.

How do I do it efficiently, safely and without major tile slippage.  Canal tiles seem so crude to me, and prone to slippage or cracking.

When, recently our plumber installed a new chimney liner, I missed his "roof walking", & his response to my - "how did you do that?" was "Comme le chat!" - useless!!

Please no pious responses, I am safe, working on my own home etc, I just do not want to break fifty tiles to replace 5.

Many thanks fellow lay-roofers.

Mark B

Archived