Complete France Forum

Redistribution of heat!

zeb

We have a large freestanding woodburner in our living room which is brilliant - gives off loads of heat, doesn't gobble up too much wood and stays in easily overnight. However, the bedroom above is very chilly when the temperature outside drops to -0. I don't like hot bedrooms but sometimes ours is too cold for comfort.

I know that you can buy the turbo fan systems for insets but is it possible to use the same sort of system with a vent in the bedroom for an ordinary woodburner with flexi liner?

I asked the company who I ordered my woodburner from (free

standing Jotul F500) and they said “not possible”.  However, this may not be the case for all models.  I believe I have seem some somewhere (in

catalogues) that will also drive a couple of radiators as well so it may depend

on what type/model of wood burner you have.

Ian

"cut a hole in the floor and stick a grill over it !!!!"

Provided that noise between the two rooms isn't going to be a problem, and you site a smoke alarm above the vent in the bedroom, I don't see anything wrong with Dave's comment. You could site the hole against a wall, opening into a trunking that will direct the warm air horizontally into the room,  frustrating peeping toms at the same time!

sc

Sorry - that idea is a no no. We spent a lot of time insulating the ceiling of the room below to ensure that it's soundproof as the TV is directly below and MOH is a late night film addict!

Our friends in the Midi Pyrenees have succumbed and sawn a hole in the ceiling so that the heat goes up into their bedroom - we stayed there during the summer and..........it was very interesting listening to the dogs below snoring.

Roll on summer!

Archived