Complete France Forum

Pigeonniers

chris18

We are in the process of completing on the purchase of a house in the Lot area and want to add a couple of rooms. We are considering building a pigeonnier onto the house in keeping with the area. Can anyone give us an idea of the cost - I know this is difficult because of varying sizes and design. We hope to include an internal staircase for access to the additonal bedroom and lounge. Many thanks 

PS love this site!!! I can see it is going to be Very useful!!!

I was once given 3 white doves as they were going to be killed.

The previous owner also gave me two dovecots.

I enjoyed having them and within 2 years I had over 40.

Other doves arrived and would stop for a while, it would seem they had short break holidays at the other dovecots which were all over 10 miles away.

They kept the traffic slow on the road by my house as they just loved getting grit from the road although some got squashed.

I also had various birds of prey that arrived to feast on the unfortunate doves which is not very pleasant.

In the past pigeons were kept not just to eat ( Iam a veggie so they are safe with me) but also for the pigeon poo. Do not understimate how much the little chaps can produce, where they leave it and the unpleasant aroma.

I eventually found it was this aspect and that fact that they woke up the previous owners daughter at first light sitting on her bedroom window cill and keeping her awake in the evening after she had gone to bed.

My house here in France has pigeon holes and I have resisted rehoming more pigeons.

The owls use the pigeon holes and as they are glass backed it is possible to see them from inside the house.

I don't know how the law stands now but you had to be a land owner to keep pigeons as they would feed on the crops.

Archived