Complete France Forum

Building freestanding internal pier

CeeJay

Not in France I know, but a job that needs doing before I start my annual 6monthly total change of lifestyle.

I am totally gutting my kitchen in UK and would like to build a freestanding brick pier to attach arches to. The space between the arches and the ceiling will be plasterboard studding.

However I am not sure what should be the minimum dimension of the pier to make it stable., the height is about 8'. Is it necessary to build it 2 brick width, or 1 1/2 and is it necessary to fill in the space in the middle with cement or build complete courses of brick.

I would appreciate any advice.

you could build the pier any size you would like if you build it 1 and half birick fill the centre up with either the muck you are using or a lea mix 6 and 1 ballast cement  but for stability you are building of a solid floor drill 2  16mm holes in floor buy a resin anchor come in a mastic tube from builders merchant about 4 pounds resin some 12 mm reforcing bars (steel rods )in to floor you will not bkick them over drill in floor about  five to six inches go any deeper and it will just go through floor oversite if you wanted to be right flash you could use metal threaded bar and then keep bolting to gether till got to ceiling and fix to ceiling but you head plate of your stud arch will support the top if you fix the arch plate to the ceiling and build the last coarses around it dont forget keep measuring your brick work gauge as you go up as you will lend up with a thick joint against ceiling or a little cut hope it might help pete

Archived