Complete France Forum

Ideal 2001 Oil Boiler & KH2010 timer/programmer - help needed

Francais

We have an Ideal 2001 oil fired boiler which is fitted with a KH2010 timer/programmer. I understand the principle operation of the boiler but the time has me completely baffled in that I cannot seem to set it so that the boiler swithes on/off with the time switch. Unfortunately when we bought the house last year we din't get the manuals for eother boiler or timer and a search of the Ideal website in the UK & France hasn't helped. I am fairly sure that thsi boiler is fairly popular as we saw similar models in other houses we looked at. It certainly works very weel, the house was lovely and warm all last week and it produces a reasoonable quantity of hot water.

The timer has a multitude of settings, there is a small dial marked in degrees (max 55) with a hot water tap symbol, this I assume controls the hot water temperature. The is a large knob marked 3 - 9 with what I think is a radiator symbol and seems top control the radiator temperature. Thus far thus good - I think!

There is also a switch with several symbols, sun, moon etc - this one I don't undertand. There are also three other settings, one is set with a flat blade screwdriver an may be marked with time, the other two have sun and moon symbols.

Has anyone any ideas why the time clock seems not to work? There are movable Red & Blue pegs which seem to switch something on aff as the clock revolves but the boiler is always in an 'on' condition.

I would like to set it so that when we are away from the house, it ticks over and keeps the house protected against frost, someone did tell me that it has a frost stat but I can't see any indication of that.

What I could really do with is a site which has a downloadable manual, preferably in English as I don't think my french will cope with the complexity of the time. Failing that has anyone a manual, again in English which they could copy for me? Or, failing all that, does anyone have a similar timer and would be will to let me call them to talk about the operation of said timer?

Thanks

Tim

We installed a thermostat/timer/programmer recently to go with our boiler.  It is not the same model as yours but I might be able to shed some light on some of the symbols. Firstly I think the boiler should be on all the time in the central heating position.  We found this hard to understand being used to a really old fashioned one which was quite simply 'on' or 'off'.  I think you should have a clock there somewhere and I think you should have a means of setting temperatures required for 'day' or 'night' - that is where the sun and moon come in.  We found this hard to understand also and eventually realised that it doesn't really mean day and night but it assumes that you will want to set  your heating at one level (say 20 degrees) for normal day time use and a lower level at night or possibly in the day time when you are out.  We actually set ours to 5 degrees at 'night' since we don't want it to come on at all.  As you say there should also be 'frost free setting' which is indicated on ours by a snowflake.

I think the timer might not work because you have it on a manual settting rather than automatic.  On ours manual overide is indicated by a hand - surprise surprise!

These  things are so complicated it is extremely difficult to work out what to do, even with the instructions, so I hope someone can come up witht the same model for you.

One further thought, do you have any trade boiler suppliers nearby that might be able to obtain the instructiions for you?

Liz

Archived