Complete France Forum

Removing French Wallpaper

Quillan

I have just come down for a break in stripping of some old wallpaper. It never ceases to amaze me how cleaver the French are. This stuff is vinyl and as you remove it you discover that in places it's lots of bits stuck together. It's like a patchwork quilt yet every joint is invisable till you start pulling it off. It's like they have cut round the window and had a piece left over and thought "I know I can stick it in there". It's diffiult to explain, it's just wierd, like they get the absolute useage out of a role of paper and there is no waste what so ever. When we did the remodeling 3 years ago and stripped the rest of the house it was the same. Be it paterned or just plain paper every bit of the role had been used. So is it just me or have othes found the same. Infact has anyone come accross any other strange (OK different to English) decorating proceedures here in France?

When we first moved into this house, my dear wife took it upon herself

one evening (I was away, not that my presence would have stopped her)

to start peeling away the deeply unpleasant vinyl wallpaper in the

front room with a view to slapping on a coat of magnolia onto the

lining paper she assumed to be underneath as a stop-gap until we (she?)

decided how we finally decorate it.

Instead of the expected lining paper, below this was a layer of

polystyrene, and this in turn was fixed to the wall with what appeared

to be a mixture of polyfiller and PVA glue that seemed to have been

applied with a trowel. In places it was a quater-of-an-inch thick. So

firmly was this layer of "glue" adhered to the plaster work that it

could only be removed in very small pieces with a blunt knife. This is

a big room - 30 msq and about 2.4m high. On and off, removal of this

layer, which proved to be unpaintable, took just less than three years.

There's a moral there somewhere.

I am also having a similar experience with a room.  Its about 20m2 and not only do we have the vinyl wallpaper/poly board combo, oh no, we have 3/4 of the floor concreted and in the middle we have, wait for it, floorboards.  Not nice, lovely, proud to have them floor boards, but smelly, rotten ones.  We have spent time removing them and even more trying to work out why on earth you would go to the trouble of concreting a floor only to leave a section untouched.  Underneath is the earth floor, which at the moment is very damp.

Why oh why?

Dotty

I once visited a house where the very heavily patterned - brown - wallpaper was beautifully done but they hadn't bothered to match it up.

Economy I suppose....

I would like to know what 'glue' they used to use as it is a b**ger sometimes to get off the wall.

I think we've had the lot, bits stuck on bits, bits stuck on with filler, polystyrene underneath of course and a foil like substance presumably to 'treat' damp and newspaper - not an interesting souvenir edition but just some old paper from the 60s.  An acquaintance of ours once said (and I have to emphasis this was a long time ago before we got to work) your house has that funny french farmhouse smell.  It did and I put a lot of it down to the wallpaper and glues that were used.  Now we have stripped everything back, fixed the damp and aired the place the smell has disappeared.

We discovered an odd thing  when we took up the fitted carpet that was glued to the boards in the bedroom (and what a job that was).  The boards had been varnished except in a area about the size of a small bed.  Could someone really have varnished a floor and not bothered to move the bed?! Wierd is the word!

Liz

[quote user="Dotty0"]

Who said concreting was cheap? 

Seeing as the rest of our house has been 'decorated' and I don't

think, by the bathroom fittings, they exactly struggled for cash, why

not concrete the whole floor.

Simple. 

[/quote]

Had that part of the house ever been used for agricultural purposes in

the past? We discovered something not disimilar in a barn we renovated

that was once used as winter quarters for cattle. It was a soak away

for "liquids."

Jond

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no.  We had a visit from the relatives of the old man who used to live here, she also once lived here and  was also born here.  She told me that the room was part of the kitchen originally, now it has a partition wall, it that's the correct term, so it would not have had another use. 

We have barns to the back of the house and all are under the same roof, ie not separate.  So all the rooms in the house back onto these, but there is an area for the drainage of 'liquids'.

What do you use your winter quarters for cattle as now?

Dotty

Archived