Complete France Forum

A Conservatory in the Dordogne?

WJT

We have been searching for someone to come out to give us a quote to build a conservatory or perhaps just a small extension with mostly windows in the Dordogne with no luck at all. I have had one conservatory company come out and promise to provide a quote after measuring etc.. After several phone calls and several months he still has failed to call me back. We do seem to have a problem with finding anyone interested in work out our way, near Sarlat, that is including the so called English builders. May start another thread on them later [:@].

There are so many companies advertising conservatories in the UK just find it hard to believe that it is not available in France. Any advise would be most appreciated.

I was sat here thinking that I don't know anyone with one, but then I remembered that I do and rather think of it as the oven, there again she is from the DOM TOM and is rather fond of the heat.

I just reckon it is the differences in weather as being the reason that they are not popular in France. They are something I just would never think of getting.

Have you tried all the usual suspects like Castorama, Tryba, LaPeyre?

We had an 'auvent' on the northwest corner of the house and I had sliding patio doors installed on the two open sides. Being in shade generally, it is very pleasant to use, looking out over the garden, even in the hot weather.

Mike (16)

Thank you TU for that information, I actually haven't thought of those that you mentioned.

We have thought of an alternative for now but in the future if we do decide to install one will have a look. By the way, the area I would like one is in the shade and gets no sun so the summer heat would not be a problem in this case. Thanks again.

Well, there are lots around here in rural Charente and they seem to be called verandas.

Friends had a large one installed last spring on the north facing side of their house and it's super - they breakfast in it and also use it for overwintering all their potted plants and trees (large and small!).

They had to get planning permission of course, and then had a local building firm liaise with the veranda company as the floor and small block walls had to be built to the exact specification, then the veranda company installed the conservatory.

Archived