Complete France Forum

crepi

Bob

Is the exterior plaster on most french houses crepi? It seems to give a beautiful finish. I'm not sure hiow it is applied, someone told me the first coat is blown on with a machine and then floated off level with a long straightedge.The second coat being applied next day and then float finished .Is the above the correct method please?

[quote user="Bob"]Is the exterior plaster on most french houses crepi? It seems to give a beautiful finish. I'm not sure hiow it is applied, someone told me the first coat is blown on with a machine and then floated off level with a long straightedge.The second coat being applied next day and then float finished .Is the above the correct method please?

[/quote]

There are as many ways of applying Crepi as there are reasons for not using it...

I have sprayed it (quick, but very noisy), trowelled it (difficult), rollered it (bloody hard work) etc etc. Best advice I was given (although I have never bothered), is to trowel on the first coat, floating it off to a reasonable finish when 1/2 dry, then apply a second coat - diluted about 15% with a roller when completely dry. Gives a lovely smooth finish.

So they tell me.

Archived