Complete France Forum

tongue and groove

Fay

Hi - anyone know what (if any) the French term is for this? Not in the building terms dictionary that I have got, and even my French tutor didn't know when I showed her a picture of some... Is it peculiarly British?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Fay

May be wrong, but I don't think they call it tongue and groove here. It's plancher pour sol (or parquet) and the modern stuff in pine, chesnut, poplar and oak has tongue and groove. Don't get confused with lambris which is for walls and ceilings.

You'll find pine flooring boards in various widths in places like Leroy Merlin but for oak go to your local woodyard as it's generally cheaper there.

Edit: See, I was wrong - thanks Clair!

[quote user="zeb"]May be wrong, but I don't think they call it tongue and groove here. It's plancher pour sol (or parquet) and the modern stuff in pine, chesnut, poplar and oak has tongue and groove. Don't get confused with lambris which is for walls and ceilings.

You'll find pine flooring boards in various widths in places like Leroy Merlin but for oak go to your local woodyard as it's generally cheaper there.

Edit: See, I was wrong - thanks Clair![/quote]

Zeb, your reply is just as valid!

Tenon et mortaise refers to the type of joint.

Lambris and plancher (parquet is a specific type of plancher made of small pieces of wood locking into each other) are more in line with what is referred to in English as tongue and groove, (although the expression is technically a type of joint).

Thanks Clair and Zeb!

What I am hoping to do is tongue-and-groove (in the UK sense) bathroom walls instead of tiling. So perhaps it is tenon et mortaise lambris that I need. Meeting with the architect next week - maybe visual aids (ie a few back issues of Country Living) might be handy as well...

Thanks again.

Fay

Archived