Complete France Forum

Window safety bars

Deimos

I have to install some window safety bars (not security

ones) as the window sill is too close to the floor (i.e. the stop people falling

out kind).  I was originally planning to

get some metal ones made (a bit ornate subject to the bar spacing rules, etc.)

but then thought that some wooden ones might be nice.

I would obviously make them decently strong to stop people

falling out but does anybody know if wooden ones are allowed and subject to and

regulations re: strength and how one tests such things in practice (to the point

where is it just easier to get metal ones made) ?

Many thanks

Ian

Deimos wrote

"I have to install some window safety bars ... (i.e. the stop people falling out kind).  ...does anybody know if wooden ones are allowed"

I'm no expert, but I'd have thought that anything that would qualify as a bannister for stairs or a mezzanine should be adequate. There may be a norme, but I get the impression with French building matters generally that there is far less regulation of how you construct your home, compared to UK Building Regs.

I'm pretty sure wood is okay (an architect fitted wooden ones for me).  There is a norm, to do with the separation (I think it's 11 cm) and there's also a height norm.  But the problem with wooden bars which are both quite close together and strong enough to be useful is that they can look very heavy in your average window.  Were I doing it again, I'd fit iron bars. 

I don't know if it's any use to you, but they have several styles of window bars in Brico-depot, one of which is quite ornate (bowed and twirly, if you get what I mean!)..........they appear to come in various widths and heights, and are very reasonably priced, I can't remember exactly how much but around 24€ for about 60cm wide, I think!!

Regards

Chris

Archived