Complete France Forum

need advice on distance from existing buildings

tempinfrance

I'm hoping to convert a little barn which is only a few metres from our house. The house needs total renovation so we are starting on the little barn first. I would be grateful if anyone knows if there are any regs concerning required distance of habitations from other houses (in the same 'complex'). Thanks for any advice!

You cannot just convert a building used solely as an outbuilding previously into a habitation here without the correct approval first from the local mairie. There may be a Permis de Construire to apply for or simply a Déclaration de Travaux depending on size and living area to be considered and then the problem of drainage etc to be applied for as well. By changing the use of a building which has never been deemed habitation you are liable for Taxe d'Habitation in the future as well as the original permission to convert. Any work done without written permission is subject to being returned to it's original state if the local council/maire so wish.

yes, I'm in the process of filling in the form for the permis. the barn already has a cu. I just wondered of the liklihood of the permis being refused on grounds of distance of barn from our house and if so, whether there was any way round at this stage...ie mentioning part of main house could be demolished (wood shed) to increase distance etc.

Only guideline I know is that a new build house needs to be >3 metres from a neighbour's boundary to be able to have normal windows facing that way. (It's more complicated than that, but...) Therefore 6 metres between buildings would even be enough if you decided to split the property later.

Have you had an unofficial word with the maire, or whoever?

Archived