Complete France Forum

Southern Haute Vienne, where..........

Alcazar

............can I buy:

1. Electrical stuff, (cable, trunking, etc), cheap?

2. Insulation, also cheap.

Anyone know WHAT to use to insulate between the beams for a ceiling?

I've been buying stuff from Briconautes in Cussac, but am not impressed with price, nor choice, esp for insulation. All they seemed to have was a blue polystyrene type stuff in 2.6m x0.6m x50mm pieces.

Alcazar

1. Pick up a catalogue at Bricolots in Perigeaux and buy the stuff you need in Ameins or another outlet on the way down South

2. Draw up a list of what you need and at the end of each visit and talk to Bernard ( Builder's merchants on the west of Vayres )  He opened the busines when Point P closed down there. He needs to charge more than Point P pre delivery but for instance when he delivered 35 sheets of plasterboard he not only helped me into the house. He also looked at the gap in the ceiling told me to go upstairs and passed the sheet up to me through the gap. In contrast to Point P who simply dumped them in the road

I have not bought in Briconauts since they started displaying signs in English telling you not to open the boxes. When they were in Oradour sur Vayres 15 minutes away they were OK,  but at Cussac I might as well grit my teath and go to Limoges 

Thanks for the idea of buying on the way down, I'll look into that. Are they cheap for cable, etc? How about compared with Screwfix? (I'm talking singles for conduit/trunking work, here, not UK twin and earth). Wickes seem to be VERY cheap for smaller trunking, and I get 20% off there too[:)]

I know Bernard at Vayres, we've had a lot of sand/ballast/cement/blocks off him, all delivered cheap. Good bloke. Does he do insulation? Any electrical stuff?

We tend to use Briconauts if Dupuy in St Mathieu doesn't stock, or hasn't enough. It's about 4km from my house, so even nearer than Oradour. I DO find them disappoiting re the  amount of stock they carry for a huge store, prices, (not that low), and choice, again for a huge store.

Having said that, their staff are very herlpful, IF you can find one to help you[*-)], and my wife likes the garden stuff.

Alcazar

Bernard does insulation but not electrical items.

Brico Depot - Sample prices .  

100 metres 16mm GAINE ICTA PREFILEE 3 wires 1.5 mm Euros 33.20 

3 wire 2.5 mm Euros 45.00

Insulated wire only 100 metres 2.5 mm 8.95

Earthed sockets Legrand 12 for Euros 28.55, Castell 0.90 Euros each.

Nearest store is Trellisac ( N21 just east of Perigeaux)  take the N21 south rather than the road via Begerac as Pergieaux can be very slow to drive through. Thee open at 7 am close at 12 reopen at 2 pm and close at 7:30 during the week and are 'sans interuption' on Saturday. We used M Bricolage in the Northern Centre Commercial of Limoges or Castorama to the South  but any of the options take out at least  a half day

Archived