Complete France Forum

Silly sand question?

Jonzjob

I have a small job to do, i.e. build a 2.8 x 1.25 meter high wall. I have the bricks and I have the cement. I also have 125Kg of 20 grade silica sand (just hoiked out of our pool sand filter and only put in it about 8 months ago).

Question --- can I use the sand for the morter mix?

It was backwashed before I removed it so it is pretty well clean and if it can be used it would save carting about 6 bags a sand from either a merchant or a local 'shed'.

John.

hi

no not a silly question ,  we all need to save money so...        the key word in your question is "washed " if it`s washed should be ok ?? mix a bit in a bucket see if it goes off .

the only prob ... if you are short ?? where do you get more , you wil never match the colour..

dave

I tried the mix and it went off OK, but the sand is far too course for a morter mix, I think, but I also think that it would be great used in the concrete mix to give a slip proof floor. I have to make a new slab to mount the steps for our pool. I've tried to buy one, but all I get is funny looks when they find out it isn't 1/2 square! So I'll try it and  let you know.

John.

Archived