Complete France Forum

Pointing

vickybear

As a diversion to take our minds off the planning permission problem, we thought we'd turn to 'pointing'. We need to re-point internal and external stone walls and wonder if anyone can recommend the correct mix, specific brands and where to buy etc. The internal wall is about 12 metres square.

We want to leave as much stone showing as possible rather than 'butter'.

Any ideas and suggestions gratefully received.......unless it's someone saying we need 'premissions' to re-point!!!!!!!!

Shelagh

Hi shelagh - no you don't need permission to repoint.

You can mix your own lime, sand and water but you'll find colour variations unless you measure everything each time you make a mix.

There are other products available but we used Parex (25Kg sacks) which is available at most builders' merchants. It comes in a variety of colours (colourcharts are available) but we found that our local outlet only stocks the two main locally used colours. The beauty of using products such as Parex is that you can do an area and come back a week later to do more, and the colour is the same!

Scrape the old loose mortar/mud or whatever out, mix Parex with water and just repoint a small area at a time. Brush it back (I used a scrubbing brush) before it dries hard.

Good luck, folks told me it was therapeutic but I'm really glad that it's finished. It does look good though.

We were looking at Parex today. Is it the same type as is used to render a house i.e. is there only one Parex? We could only see one type but it appeared to give details on how to us it with a rendering machine?!  How far does a 25kg sack go?

Thanks for your help,

Shelagh

Parex is used for finish rendering as well as stone work, either directly onto block work or a scratch coat.

River sand, soft sand or white sand - take your pick, mixed 3 to 1 with Tradifarge is good for "pointing" stone. Make sure that you thoroughly clean out all the earth etc. between the stones to a depth of about 2 to 3cm, this can take a long time. Work the mix well into the joins, leaving no air holes and covering part of the face of the stones. The next bit will be a learning curve, when dryish but not dry brush across the stones with a wire brush until you have the desired amount of stone showing proud, I use a selection of brushes, one very stiff and a variety of others including one that I get from Weldom which is like a shoe brush with quite soft wire bristles for the "finish". Don't let your sand get dirty, it will affect the colour, keep it covered at all times.

Have fun and enjoy, Chris

We picked our colour from a chart at Point P - achieved by a combination of sand + Astier lime of a given number. In theory at least the sand is the same from merchant to merchant but remember, this is France. If feasible have all your sand delivered at the same time to minimise variations.

The French professionals apply on day 1 then brush off first thing on day 2. They use rubber scrubbing brushes which leave a grained finish though an English guy I spoke to said that he and his mates use a softer brush to give a plain finish. We live in an old barn so a bit of rough is no prob for us.

The difference in raw sand colour from year 1 to year 2 has resulted in a slightly different finish - not an issue for us as the first attempt is in a self contained apartment and the rest is(will be) one big entrance, eating and sitting room.

If you do the work yourself the worst bit is raking out, the filling/brushing down is a slow process and be very careful with your measuring sand and lime - it might make a huge difference.

Bon chance.

John

not

Archived