Complete France Forum

Sous tuile any experience

Gabe

Have asked this before, but no responses, must have been bad timing! Trying again as somebody must have a view,good or bad.

Planning to re-tile a section of  our roof currently covered in canal tiles. My plan is to use sous tuile as a base and then to cover this with some of the existing tiles, for cosmetic reasons. I am planning to use the un-insulated version of sous tuile as I am only doing one side of the roof and assume that if I use the insulated/clad version it will cause a step up in the ridge line ???

Does anybody have any experience of using this stuff ? If so how easy is it to use and how heavy is a sheet of the uninsulated stuff to transport and manouver? Also any idea on costs and best places to buy ? Finally how easy is it to cut  and secure to the roof ?

All advice/views gratefully received.

Gabe

Hi Gabe

I can only talk about the bits I know about, but hopefully someone better will come along. If you are talking about the grooved 'plasticky' stuff that goes under roof tiles:

It is very easy to use, very light, easy to handle and easy to cut. In securing it to the roof we were advised to buy nails with a plastic coating on them. It  looked  like a mini roof on each nail. They were very expensive, and I have no idea what they were called, but they were very distinctive. The flipping things cost more than the roof itself. 

Take some of the existing tiles with you to see if they lie on the sous tuile properly, in the way that you want them to. I think there must be different sizes, because we made a mistake...

If you were not talking about the same thing, I apologise for wasting your time.

Sorry if this is a minor hijack (or piggy-back ride). I also am having some roofing work done with fibro-ciment sous tuiles. I have also posted before.

One question I have is 'do the sous-yuiles have any isnluating effect ?'. Unfortunately the project is at arms length via a Syndic, but if I knew enough to specify the type of tuile I might be able to pay the extra and get it done.

Thanks Tresco,

Your advice is gratefully recieved. I was beginning to believe that Owen and I are the only people that know of this stuff.

Owen (John) if you have your work done before end of April please let me know how you get on, as I am going over last week in April to get started, weather permitting.

Gabe

Archived