Complete France Forum

Septic/Holding Tank???

Uncle Homer

Hello...i  am in the process of buying a 2 bed house in the Limousin area without and bathroom..toilet..sanitation, i am hoping to put a bathroom in but i have no land only a parcel large/small enough for a car and the road nearest has no plans for mains sewage, and i dont have the option of any land... my question is.. i have been told i may need a holding tank as i dont have room for a drain field for a Fosse, i have a small stone built shed adjoining the house which is probably 6x6 ft by 8 ft high..and was told it could go in there ?? does anyone know how much a holding tank for  a 1 bathroom house would be installed, and what sizes are these tanks, and how often do they need emptying and how much does it cost roughly??? sorry for so many questions...Thankyou in advance

Grant

It all depends on how clean you are!; Number of baths, showers, washing machine & dishwasher runs per week etc etc.

However a typical household could would probably use 100 - 150 litres of  water per person , per day, most of which would end up down the drain.

So for a two person household that would mean about at least 1000 litres per week.

From the size of the building you mention you are unlikely to get much more than a 5000 litre tank into the ground . So with full time occupation you could expect to have the tank emptied once a month at a cost of £50 to £100 times a go, depending on how far the tank emptier has to travel.

You need to bear in mind that the days of the local farmer doing you a favour are numbered if not already past. It all, has to be done by an approved contractor.

Archived