Complete France Forum

old barn needs no exterior changes - can i live in it?

tempinfrance

Has everyone who has renovated a property such as an old barn on which tax habitation was no paid by previous owner (due to property not being habitatable), had to obtain a permis de construire - even when little or no exterior changes are needed?. I have a barn with a CU, I could live in it with no exterior changes, just changes on the inside. I am wondering if it really is possible just to inform impots and ask them to start charging tax habitation? Is a permis de construire the only way to turn a barn into a home?

Essentially, yes. Because you are creating a dwelling (even if you do nothing inside & live with a sleeping bag and a camp fire), you will need to apply for a P de C. That shouldn't be a problem if you have a C de U. I would advise using a "pro" to draw up the plans - a requirement if the building is/will be over 170M2.

Edit - I've just noticed that you posted this question after Val gave you the same answer on another thread. I'd be inclined to be Val if I were you. She has quite alot of experience in this area...

You need a change of use permis to start with. And, surely you will need a fosse septique, which also needs an inspection of the site and a permis.

Just pop into your Mairie and ask what permissions you need to make the barn habitable, they'll give you the appropriate forms.

As Nick says, you'll need an architect if it's over 170 sq mtrs but, if not, drawing up the necessary plans yourself isn't too difficult.

Can one change a barn into a home in the UK without planning permission?

Archived