Complete France Forum

Structural Survey?

John Setchell

Contemplating purchase of a property in Northwest France, I am struck by the barage of available financial and legal advice, but perplexed by the virtual silence regarding a report on structural condition of any property I might be interested in.

Having experience of UK drought subsidence, I am more than willing to shell-out a small proportion of the property value for a survey to avoid this type of expense and disruption again - and in another country!

Anyone know of any good English speaking Surveyors or Structural Engineers providing a service in that area?

- And perhaps more importantly why the apparent silence about a Structural Survey, or am I missing something?...

Thanks in advance

JS

Many thanks H - that's REALLY helpful and prudent advice.

I suspect that UK domestic purchases attract surveys only because the mortgage lenders insist on them. Also, a solicitor friend of mine says he makes a fleeting recommendation to his conveyance clients that they have a survey done - but admits that's mainly to cover his backside!

Head-in-sand or what?...

Thanks again

JS

Your most welcome

If you do end up using and ADIA architect then please let us know how you get on.

I have recommended it to a number of people because we had such excellent service and it was a great relief to have a clean bill of health before singing anything.

Would be nice to hear expereinces of others

rgds

Hagar

• 2 weeks later...
Mine was a Fxxx (Member Royal society of Surveyors or whatever it is called and not just somebody thinking surveying "cannot be too hard"). I don't think he was disreputable, nor dishonest, nor incapable, etc. Just not really running a business but more a hobby. Thus dealing with the “more boring bits” is a lower priority and might not always get done.

As previously inferred, structural surveys aren't the norm in France. The thinking seems to be that if a place has stood for two hundred or more years then it isn't going to fall down - and if it does, it will be insured anyway. French mortgage lenders are intereted in your ability to repay the loan, not the condition of the property.

Nevertheless, there's nothing to stop anybody having a survey if they want one, and it's often an excellent idea. I don't know which bit of north western France you are thinking of, but http://www.surveyors-en-france.com/ has a national network. We know people who have used their Normandy surveyor to confirm (or otherwise) apparent structural problems, and suggest possible solutions and costs.

• 1 year later...

We had a survey done much to the amusement of the notaire [:)] It took a while for him to get round to it but he phoned me in the UK and discussed his findings before sending out the written report. He was particularly picky even mentioning things like the front door lock being sticky(just needed adjusting took me 30 seconds) some of the putty in the french windows needing re-doing, a couple of sockets being loose etc. but the main thing was the fosse septique wasn't up to scratch and we had been assured it was fine [^o)] Due to his report we negotiated with the vendor and got her to pay 2500 euro towards the cost of a new one and got her to have the work done before we signed.

At the signing of the final act the notaire made some comment about us wasting 1000Euro on a survey ... he hadn't grasped that spending that 1000 saved us an additional 1500 and the trouble of arranging the work etc. [;)]

[quote user="Will the Conqueror"]

The thinking seems to be that if a place has stood for two hundred or more years then it isn't going to fall down - and if it does, it will be insured anyway. [/quote]

This is quite true and also that lenders insist on surveys in the UK.  However you must bear in mind that people tamper about with their property eg remove supporting walls or chimney breasts on the lower floor and retaining them above.  You could also get a reputable builder who could advise you on the soundness of their property which could save you a few bucks.

Archived