Complete France Forum

Internal Doors

Bassman

We have pretty much finished re-furbishing the interior of our house in Brittany, It was all in pretty good condition just needed a lick of paint and some decent flooring/carpet upstairs, new kitchen and bathroom[H]

Since we got the place I have ben looking to replace the internal doors as they are fairly cheap,nasty lightweight ones with a few dings and holes etc. I did look at taking some over from the UK but the sizes are way too different for that to work sensibly, the reason for this thought was that looking around in France it seems they only sell new doors complete with frames[8-)] and as there is nothing wrong with the frames I don't want to replace them and it's seems a waste to buy doors and frames then use the frames as firewood [;)] Am I correct or does anyone know where to buy just doors?? Or am I looking at heating the living room with "door frame" next winter?LOL

Paul

It is normal to buy doors here complete with the exterior frame.  Of course you do not have to use the frame, but if you do, the good thing is that you just lift the doors off the pin hinges and fit the frame.  Then you, just put the door back on the hinges and voila, it should fit OK.[:D]  You can of course keep the old frames but you may need to fit the door and move the hinges on the door or frame.

We looked into this as our doors were not too special and covered in bits of wall paper.  AFAIK doors always come wth the frame so dump the frame and use the doors.  We have a barn full of 'free' wood like this and very useful it is too. 

One of the reasons we didn't pursue replacement doors was that ours are not a standard size and we couldn't justify the expenditure of having them specially made so we spent many happy hours refurbishing [:(] .  Not too bad in the end.  I agree Brico Depot (also at Plouigneau) may have what you want if you're just after a basic Chapeau de Gendarme style, and their frames are of such low quality you will probably be glad to put it on the fire.  A bit more upmarket are Lapeyre also at Brest or Reseau Pro (used to be Pinault) at Morlaix and I think elsewhere in the Department.

Liz

Non-standard and a range of standard sized doors also available via Queguiner -Morlaix,Landivisiau or Carhaix in your neck of the woods for Huelgoat area. Non-standard sizes can take upto 2 months from ordering and a deposit will be required for non-account holders.

Thanks for the info folks [H]

It looks like door frame heating next year then LOL I don't really want to remove the existing frame for fear of damaging the floor tiles on the groundfloor and our new decorating upstairs LOL.

I love the way the doors have lift of hinges a friend of mine in the UK is a carpenter and he's glad we don't get doors like this as he reckons he would be out of a job[:)]

As we were leaving last week we spotted some nice doors on special at Bricomarche in Carhaix but we have two doors that are smaller than the others and they seemed to be one size [:(]

I noticed they have lots at BricoDepot near Morlaix anyone know what they are like for delivering as I have now sold my Transit?

Val_2..... you pinned our area down pretty well there [;)]

[quote user="Bassman"]

I noticed they have lots at BricoDepot near Morlaix anyone know what they are like for delivering as I have now sold my Transit?

[/quote]

They don't but they will hire you a truck at modest price.

Liz

Archived