Complete France Forum

Recycling water

Hindhaugh

I am in the process of putting some new drains, fosse etc in at my little cottage in 36. It appears to be a sensible idea to build a collection tank into the system allowing shower, washing and other non toilet waters to be used for watering plants, grass, washing cars etc. Anyone any experience of this. An overflow from this collection tank would allow excess water to travel on to the fosse as normal and though a grease trap.

Hi

here, all the old houses either have a collection tank or a well.

We get more annual rain than London, but it is concentrated into a few enormous storms (read flooding !) each year.

At the moment, we've had a sprinkle since mid November. We've got forest fires, a BBQ ban and proposed water ban for gardens, golf courses etc.

Current forecast is rain on Wednesday : fingers crossed.

Peter

This is very easy with a filter pond. Not very common here but it is in the U.S. and Carib. All non-soil pipe water goes in to a pond with plants that than clean it of toxins, i.e washing up liquid. An overflow than takes the clean water to a tank, either for filling the toilet cistern or for watering the garden. Have a look at a few U.S. sites on recycling water and waste.

Yes

As I was saying a month or so ago, I am astonished in this country that rainwater harvesting is not common place. Especially since there seems to be  a drought in most of the country. Ass to that the incredible cost of water and Its just not an option is obligatory it seems to me.

Using 'first water dump' systems and a tank made of ferrocement, or plastic its an easy DIY must have for any house with the space. Even a cubic meter of water will go a long way for toilet flush or watering plant.

Glad to see the topic discussed.

Andrew

We have a well - which is just a plastic-lined hole about 30mm in diameter and about 20M deep. this produces more water than we can pump out of it and is used for plant & veg watering and last year to fill the pool. My local pharmacy tested the water (20E) and it is fine to drink. Biggest water storage system I can think of...

• 1 year later...
[quote user="Poolguy"]

Yes

As I was saying a month or so ago, I am astonished in this country that rainwater harvesting is not common place. Especially since there seems to be  a drought in most of the country. Ass to that the incredible cost of water and Its just not an option is obligatory it seems to me.

Using 'first water dump' systems and a tank made of ferrocement, or plastic its an easy DIY must have for any house with the space. Even a cubic meter of water will go a long way for toilet flush or watering plant.

Glad to see the topic discussed.

Andrew

[/quote]

I suspect that it could be because using more mains water provides a revenue stream to the state. You are charged for the mains water you consume plus the assainisment is calculated from your the mains water consumption. Double wammy.

I'm all in favour of saving water and using recyled water from a butt. But the state can't calculate that.

Archived