Complete France Forum

Architects fees advise please

Aly

We pay our architect 10.2% of the cost of the build as his fees. The artisans he uses insist that all fittings ie baths,shower etc are purchased through them. They say that the reason for this is the lower TVA and guarantee they can give is tied into this way of operating. They  also is some cases obtain a discount from the shop and pass a percent of this to us.

The architect includes these fittings in his cost for the total build. Therefore we pay 10.2% plus his TVA not only on the work but on all fittings ie tiles, baths etc; so the more expensive the item we purchase the more his fees rise.

Is this normal practice? Any advise most welcome?

Also our Contract estimate has crept up we are trying to curtail this has anyone any advise on doing this?

Hi

I am assuming the architect is the project manager ?

The 10 yr guarentee issue is a bit of a convenience for these people who have a ready made excuse for purchasing expensive ( for you ) fixtures, and getting a hefty unseen ( by you ) discount from the supplier. It would be quite normal to obtain a 25 - 45 % discount from a supplier. So, for sure the fixtures will be of inferior quality pound for pound than can be bought elsewhere.!

I guess the architects fee was agreed in advance so probably little you can do about it now!

best of luck

"Hi

I am assuming the architect is the project manager ?

The 10 yr guarentee issue is a bit of a convenience for these people

who have a ready made excuse for purchasing expensive ( for you )

fixtures, and getting a hefty unseen ( by you ) discount from the

supplier. It would be quite normal to obtain a 25 - 45 % discount from

a supplier. So, for sure the fixtures will be of inferior quality pound

for pound than can be bought elsewhere.!

I guess the architects fee was agreed in advance so probably little you can do about it now!

best of luck"

I am a bit puzzled by your posting.

Where is a 10 year guarantee involved in this?

The valid point was made regarding the rate of TVA - if the client

purchases the fittings then they will pay 19,6% TVA - if their artisan

purchases and installs them then he can charge them on at 5,5% TVA.

Where do you get the information regarding discounts of between 25% and

45% from French trade suppliers - perhaps you could supply a list of

companies offering these discounts.

Why will fittings be of inferior quality to those which can be purchased elsewhere?

For our business we recommend quality suppliers where clients can

choose their kitchens, bathrooms, tiling, etc. We then purchase on

their behalf and install and invoice at 5,5% TVA. None of these

companies even offer 25% discount to artisans.

The original poster has a bad deal with their architect but your posting adds nothing useful.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Hi

I am a bit puzzled by your posting.

Where is a 10 year guarantee involved in this?

They say that the reason for this is the lower TVA and guarantee they can give is tied into this way of operating. 

One assumes they are referring to the decinel assurance?

Where do you get the information regarding discounts of between 25% and 45% from French trade suppliers - perhaps you could supply a list of companies offering these discounts.

Have been in this business a lot of years and it is common practice for suppliers to provide a customers invoice and a seperate one for the contractor. And never mentioned French suppliers particularly :) it does all depend on how much you spend and how much you can negotiate.

Why will fittings be of inferior quality to those which can be purchased elsewhere?

Do you think a list price of 1000 euros at a supplier, will buy the same quality as 1000 euros at Brico Depot for instance, I don't think so!

The original poster has a bad deal with their architect but your posting adds nothing useful.

Well I hope it informs newby readers to keep a close eye on things!  

Archived