Complete France Forum

Hay loft opening - now with Window

Nick

Hi

Our converted barn has a 'loft' with an existing arched brickwork 'hay door' on the external wall.

We want to put an arched glass window to replace the wooden shutter door.

Will we need permission to do this? The opening exists, but not with glass.

Thank you

Assuming you are not within site of one of the Historic Building of France. I believe this is a declaration de travaux as it a replacement but not in the same materials. There may also be an issue if the new window does not overlook your land, opens onto your neighbours land or the road for instance.

Hello,
On a separate note will I need any permission from the maire (DDE) to re-point the outside of a stone cottage? I understand that any 'external' changes to a building may require at least a Declaration aux Travaux, but I am not too sure if this applies to just making the brickwork tidy.

Thank you.

It depends where you are. For instance if you are in Port Grimaud a twee but very nice faut village round canals near St Tropez you broadly need to check what colour knickers you display on the line and exactly where the openings are and on which day of the week you display them. In contrast one Friday evening I showed our Mayor one of the forum postings about colours for shutters. After we, me and two and three of the locals had picked her off the floor. Her reaction was broadly citizen Redman I thought the party had better things to do than decide what colour your shutters would be.  

Archived