Complete France Forum

Approval for additional Velux windows

tournay4

Hi, as a new member of the forum I apologise if this question has already been dealt with!

We want to add four velux windows into our roof, as part of a larger re-roofing project. Our house has no garden and so the scaffolding will be in the road whilst work is carried out. It is only a minor one way road in a small village and the scaffolding would not block the traffic flow.

In order to get the work rolling, what documentation will I need from the Marie? I presume it will include; approval to have the work completed, putting up the scaffolding and something agreeing to the addition of the velux windows?

Any advice gratefully recieved[8-)]

You will need to apply for a Declaration de Traveau for the Veluxes. Apply via your Mairie, although the permission comes from the DDE. You will need further permission (from your Mairie, I believe although it involves the Gendarmes), for the scaffolding. You will need to use a contractor (not a DIY job) becuase of the insurance necessary for working on public land.

Bear in mind that this lot could/will take 3 months to obtain.

If it's anything like in our area the DDE will ask questions about what the veluxes are needed for, e.g. additional rooms. Although putting a velux in the attic is covered by the simple declaration de travaux, actually converting the attic into habitable space involves a permis de construire, which, if the total habitable space then comes over the magic 170m², will involve architect's plans. I think too many British renovation projects have been slipping through the net without full planning permission, so the authorities are tightening up.

Archived