Complete France Forum

Well water with pong !!

jehe

We have recently had a beautiful well dug and lined with clean,clear water coming from chalk but.........the water has a strong sulphur smell when heated up. Naturally we are arranging to have it tested but in the meantime i would be interested to here if any other forum members have experienced a similar problem.

[quote user="jehe"]We have recently had a beautiful well dug and lined with clean,clear water coming from chalk but.........the water has a strong sulphur smell when heated up. Naturally we are arranging to have it tested but in the meantime i would be interested to here if any other forum members have experienced a similar problem.[/quote]

No, but sulphur is not exactly uncommon. Heat would release it from water, and produce sulpuric or sulphurous acid...

It has been a long time since I did A level chemistry (I got a C or was it D... I know I passed). So, stick the dog in it and see how long it takes to dissolve. Or the wife. Actually, you could try with mine. Dog, that is. Then again...

Mr trollope,

it is now 2 hours since i took your advice and the dog is still swimming strongly !! I have told the wife to get changed so she can take over at midnight - will let you know if the smell improves.

Thanks,Jim.

Archived