Complete France Forum

Renovating Houses and requirements for and Architects Plans

Mouldy

We have purchased a house near Cognac that needs total renovation. We have filled in the renovation form stating that we want to totally renovate the property, installing a fosse, re-roofing, new wood windows, connecting water etc.... The 'Batiment de France' have written back stating that they want proper architect’s plans for the work we are planning to do.

Is this normal practise? We did not mention any structural changes to the property just that we want to renovate it.

The property is within a certain distance of an historical church so im not sure if this makes a difference?

Thanks

My understanding is that if you are within sight of registered Historical building then Batiments de France do have the right of veto over what you do. However I do know of cases where full planning permision went through without Architect's drawings just undertakings to match the local style,materials and colours

Try to find out from the Mairie. From what I understand from French friends who have come under the umbrella of Batiments d France,they are a nightmare. Also I believe I'm correct in saying an architect will charge minimum of 10% of cost of the work. I trust the Immo pointed out the problem when you purchased?

Regards. B&B St.Malo.

Hi

I was at DDE in Saintes today dealing with a clients planning application and asked about Batiment de France, they are interested in the changes you make to the facade of the house, if the property is within 500 metres of a church or other historic building.

The other rules still apply, you do not need to employ an architect unless the habitable area of the property is over 170 sq mtrs. You said the only change will be the windows, under normal circumstances you would submit a "declaration of works" with pictures of the windows now ( if any) and the proposed new ones,they then decide if they are ok. The interior of the property they are not concerned about.

Having said that, I am confused as to why you are involved with Batiment de France at this stage? did you initiate the dialogue? . I ask this because DDE deal with planning applications and declarations of works.

Hi

Thanks for your responses everyone,

We didnt initiate the dialogue with the Batiment de France, we just filled in the renovation forms that the Maries office have given us and submitted them, the Marie then contacted our estate agent to pass the message back that the Batiment de France requires these plans.

I am not sure how to proceed really...we cant actually track down an arhitect willing to help at the moment...

Thanks

Claire

Archived