Complete France Forum

Log splitters -- any recommendations?

Gollum

I am currently looking into buying an electric log splitter to deal with the 6 or so cordes of wood we burn in the Winter. They seem to vary wildly in price, while all offering pretty comparable features.

Do you have one of these splitters? If so, I'd be interested to know what brand/model you have, how well it works, and how much hammer it has taken over what period of time! Any advice or experience would be welcome.

hi

ok sure i replied to this on another forum but still ........cheep leccy ones are a waste of time 6 cordes is a lot of wood!!!!! my wife and i have been at it for 3 days now ,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry wishfull thinking there,, at 30 m3 with this http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?start=20

you could be at it for weeks with a leccy one ,,,,,,,,,,,,lucky sod

dave

Please see my reply below to a post a month or two back asking what the French is for a Log Splitter.

Casse buches.

Got mine a couple of weeks ago at Castorama (www.castorama.fr), then jardin, bucheronnage, accessoires, casse buches. 54.90E, ref 601425.

It's like a sort-of pile driver and deals with all the oversize half metre logs that I get delivered. Works like a dream and very satisfying.

Those fancy machines are probably fine, but you're looking at €600+ and the hardware described above is just the job. It's works up a sweat, but you don't have to do the whole lot in one go, do you?

there is a much easier and much more cost effective way...i'm assuming you are splitting oak?.. if not, you're burning wood thats not going to give you much heat... anyway... so long as it is dry or dry(ish)... stand it upright... take a bolster and hammer that centrally into the top... the wood will gradually split... lengthways.... if needs be, use the same pronciple with a short handled axe as this'll give the same result... its a long drawn out process but just as lengthy as utilising some machine bought from one of the brico-places... and exactly the same principle... and mile cheaper.

the trick is to get your wood in the warm months, split it, cut it and store it (on pallets) with as much ventilation as possible such that it drys properly... that way you have decent wood for the winter months and are not forced into using crap, wet wood which'll not burn properly = gives you no heat!

any more questions, just ask...

all best

neil (24) (neilstorey@aol.com)

Archived