Complete France Forum

wood filler... anyone?

storeysinfrance

hiya

we've a fairly significant area (40sqm approx) of flooring which - in places - will need a reasonable amount of filling after the sanding down etc...

we don't madly want to use conventional wood-filler (pate du bois) is we can help it - not leats 'cos it'll be tub upon tub and trouser lightning in the euro department.

i believe there is a 'recipe' for concocting a wood filler using sawdust and...??? - some kind of flexible glue i suspect - that goes off hard as in hard... and will take a stain... 

anyone any thoughts..?

thanks

neil (24)

ps - if it helps, the floor is a curious combination of ancient oak, old pine, some chestnut and one or two planks of elm...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Since there was never a reply to this, can I revive the question?  I have a beautiful massive old door (probably pine).  Is there any filler at all that will stop up its growing number of cracks, but not (pretty quickly) drop out once the sun gets at it?  Since this usually happens during a longish period of rainy absence, the door is slowly dropping to bits.  Any advice?  

AK

[quote user="AK"]

Since there was never a reply to this, can I revive the question?  I have a beautiful massive old door (probably pine).  Is there any filler at all that will stop up its growing number of cracks, but not (pretty quickly) drop out once the sun gets at it?  Since this usually happens during a longish period of rainy absence, the door is slowly dropping to bits.  Any advice?  

AK

[/quote]

If the door is dropping to bits, no amount of filler is going to fix it. If it is old and pine, it was never meant to last, so get a new one made. Any carpenter worth his name will be able to make you an exact replica & they shouldn't be too expensive (ahem!). Get it made in hardwood & it will last longer than you or I...

Shop around too. I have just fitted double doors and 4 windows in my new workshop and several of the menuiseries in the Carcassonne area wanted twice as much as what we actually paid for them for. They are hardwood and good quality so I am going to have a good go at outlasting them. I won't cheat either by not looking after them!

John.

Next is the kitchen door[:(]

Archived