Complete France Forum

Electric Cable Costs

Vienne

Hi, this is my first post so hello to everyone!

I posted this message on another forum but didn't get an answer, wondered if anyone here could help.

Serious question really aimed at registered electricians. 1.5mm & 2.5mm/3 core and singles (6491X) and anything else you might use. Having spent many years in international cable distribution, I was having a chinwag with one of my old contacts in the manufacturing industry the other day about nothing much at all really but afterwards I started thinking.

On a small scale, would it be worth doing something (in France) which I learnt a lot about, (not boasting, just gleaned experience of submersion in it all) to supplement my income and drinking habits.

So the question is to you seasoned sparkys, if you don't mind, what's the cheapest you can buy in France, honestly?

I know I need to invest quite a bit of dosh to get the right price and I'm willing to do it and I know without checking that I can beat the sheds hands down but I don't know about the wholesalers as I've never been in a position to check, on that side of the channel anyway.

Once I have some information, I can do the marketing. Keep me busy until we move over.

Free bottle of Bordeaux with every order

Thanks for any help,

John

Oooooh it's not a good time. If you read the financial pages, the price of copper has been soaring, so cable and wire prices are horribly unpredictable. The next stage on my Big Project is hooking up the cooker point, which needs the 6mm2 cable (or wire and gaine), and it's a l-o-n-g way from one end of the house to the other......

Isn't 6491X a spec for a single wire? Rather than 3-core?

Wouldn't you be better off doing your research on the French distributors' websites? Or in the wholesalers. We buy alot of cable and, as far as I can establish, it is cheaper here than in the UK. And it is NF marked.

Hi

Yes 6491X is singles, I wrote: "1.5mm & 2.5mm/3 core and singles (6491X) and anything else you might use"

Basically the cost should be the same if you have the same terms and you buy the right amount as it all generally comes from the same place if you buy from the same manufacturer. For instance if you asked for a quote for rubber cable from Pirelli it would be sourced from Turkey. The price differentials are the markup policies of the individual distributors.

I will do some research down the distributor route, if I can find one.

Cheers

John

Archived