Complete France Forum

Flooring

macky

We have a house close to St mathieu in the Haute Vienne and need to renew our lounge floor. my husband would like oak or chestnut flooring but would like it to be rustic and not too perfect !!!! Suggestions please ta[:)]

It  already has a wooden floor but is rotten in bits because of water penetration over many years, the sink is in the lounge and is very shallow. So we will have to replace the joists etc.  Any idea how to find out about salvage yards ?[:D] 

Might be able to help Macky depending on timescales, I use old methods to give aesthetic appearance but it takes a load of time, as it would have done in the past, there's no quick route to reproducing the yesteryear look, my clients often do the 'donkey work' themselves with a bit of direction from me. I kiln dry boards ex 30mm and am in Creuse (23), not so very far away.

Chris

There ia a reclamation yard in Confolens run by a British guy who may be able to help.

The yard in on the north bank of the river to the west of the town. Take the road from Rochechouart, when you get into Confolens there is a T junction - left is the bridge, straight on the town. Take the bridge and turn left after you have crossed it. About 1 1/2 k down the road there is what appears to be a large factory on the left - thats it.

The odd thing is, most of his reclaimed flooring comes from the UK!!

We used chesnut strips, lengths varied between 30 cm and 1.2 metres, for our suspended living room floor.  Class A would have done the job without an underfloor but when used 22 mm hydrofuge chipboard underneath and class B

Woodyard was down by in an old railway yard in Bussiere Galant  ( east of Challus ) and good enough value to make me consider making the drive up from Bordeaux for our current house. 

In addition to the reclamation yard run by the Brit in Confolens (expensive, I think!), there is also a reclamation yard outside La Rochefoucauld. From N141 in La Rochefoucauld, take the road to Montemboeuf - the yard is about 6km out of town on the right hand side. French run, and quite reasonable. If he hasn't got stuff in stock, he'll try and find it for you.

Warren

Archived