Complete France Forum

Asbestos disposal

Catalpa

We may have some asbestos corrugated sheets which will need to be disposed of in line with the regulations. Has anyone had to do this and if so, what's the type of cost involved? I realise there's a piece of string aspect to that question but I want to put a ball park figure into my budget - therefore any info anyone has would be useful. Please. [:)]

When I first tried to make some sense of asbestos disposal a few years ago it seemed to me that it was very difficult and expensive for an individual to dispose of it legally. Probably because other people had come to the same conclusion and disposed of it by dumping it in the countryside or, catastrophically, burying it, local authorities both in the UK and france seem to have made arrangements to accept it. There seems to be a lot of detail regulation to it ( Only on a thursday, hand to an operative, have a sample available, only if you are in their area and be prepared to prove it, type of requirements) but there are two important bottom lines. One is that this service is only for bonded asbestos cement products and not for friable products and the second is that it must be double bagged or in the case of panels, double wrapped, in heavy guage poythene and tape sealed (there are details to this too like correctly labelled tape for example).

The good news is if I have understood correctly is that any charges are low not to say nominal for the sort of quantities that an individual householder would have to deal with.

Each authority seems to have its own detailed procedures so it sounds to me like a trip to the Mairie is the first step.

bj

Yes, the Mairie will tell you what's what. The key issue is where your nearest dechetterie is that will dispose of it. The further away it is, then greater the charges for a contractor coming to get it. However, if you're doing the sealing up and transporting, that's irrelevant. And ignore what anyone says, when they tell you it's not dangerous, they used to eat it for breakfast and the like. It only takes one fibre in the wrong place in your body and you're a gonner. How that fibre gets there is a complex matter and obviously, the more of the stuff you breathe in, the more likely you are to get that one fibre. But it doesn't follow that the only people to get it, are the people who breathe a lot of it in. Famously, it was women washing a partner's work clothes who often suffered.

Archived