Complete France Forum

Off plan apartment

We are just starting out to buy our first property in France, and are realising by the day how much we have to learn. Having followed this forum for a while, I'm hoping some of you can help with some of our queries. We are buying an apartment to use for up to 5 months a year; it's not our dream house, but it's very practical for us at this time.

Is it necessary to have a solicitor to check over the contract? We are buying from a large French developer. We have approached a firm of solicitors recommended to us, and it would appear we are looking at over £1,000 without extras.

Does anyone know how co- propriete  rules are arrived at? I wondered if there is a basic list, to which individual groups add to, to cover their particular circumstances. We think we would like to rent out our apartment during the summer months, as it is in a pretty town, near to lots of attractions and not that far from the Med. We wonder if that sort of thing is covered by co-propriete rules.

Thanks, Jo

Hi Jo,

I am sorry but I am going to have to put a negative thought into this.  I have always been a little wary of developers who sell apartments telling purchasers that they can rent out which will cover their mortgage payments.  I rented one of these kinds of appartments a few years ago with my family.  Many of them were rented out to other holiday makers as well as ourselves and, many were being "enjoyed" by the owners.  However, this mix, I believe was made in hell.  We had the poor owner watching children on holiday running from the pool through the block dripping water every where, mucking about in the lifts and being generally rowdy.  There were comings and goings by the holiday makers well into the small hours (us included).  Then, on the other end of the spectrum the poor holiday maker on edge looking for rope and sellotape to gag and tie their children up if they got a bit excitable.

By the way, who will be responsible for the management fees for wear and tear to the property?

Archived