Complete France Forum

Weight of Wood

londoneye

apologies if this seems a really daft question, but to put  into context we have two large beams (6.5 metres x 230 x 220) to be hoisted up to our barn roof.

i have been trying to guesstimate the weight of each beam.   I have looked on internet and am aware of course that different wood types have considerably different properties, including weight.

our wood is douglas fir,and i have found a site which estimates that douglas fir weighs 530 kg per cubic metre.   So far so good, the site then goes into quite ghastly detail about the differences in wet wood, kiln dried, air dried, every other way you can think of dried, and gives a mathematical formula which made me almost require a drink at 0700 to get my head around it.   problem is that our wood has come direct from wood-yard, so therefore assume that no drying process per se will have been undertaken.   Does this sound correct?

Does anyone have an idea please of a ROUGH percentage increase which could be applied to give us an idea of weight of each beam when wet(ish).   sorry to sound so vague, and i accept that people in  the know may well say that what i am asking is not feasible, but thought it was worth a try?

Water weighs 1000 Kg (1 tonne, or ton, near enough the same) per cu m. I'd assume that your worst case scenario would be a lump of totally waterlogged wood, so using the density of water seems reasonable in allowing plenty of safety margin -- you seldom see wood so soggy it won't float!

In fact, most soft wood bought from a woodyard is likely to be at least partly dried (seasoned) unless it's ben sawn from a freshly felled tree. They usually store the stuff in such a way that air can circulate (air dried). I'd guess (finger in the air) that your wet wood figure is about 50% more than the driest one. As you presumably are interested in lifting gear or wall strength I'd just use the heaviest figure you can find (675 Kg /  cu m ?????).

thank you very much for responding.     i am sorry to be dense on this one, try to put  it down to a female lack of knowledge on all things building if you can manage (!)

when you say use the heaviest figure you can find - could you explain what the bracketted section means ?       i can bear a little public humiliation to get the right answer !!

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Bad info Heath, quantify 'dryish' Oak? Where do you get your info that sweet chestnut is approx 1/2 the weight of Oak in whatever state the Oak might be? Why are most old beams Chestnut? That's not my experience.

Chris

[/quote]

Er. sorry Chris, I'm not wishing to mislead anyone. I've always used the figure of 875kg per cube, dry and seasoned, but the stuff I get from my sawmill which is fresh from the tree (which has been kept wet) or has been standing out in the rain for some time is a fair bit heavier. Almost all the old beams I take out of old houses around here are chestnut (easy to cut, but very dusty), rarely oak, and they are still very heavy but, as I said, only a guess, possibly about 50% of the weight of oak.. Where do you get 530kg from?

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Sorry Albert I didn't mean to contradict you at all, it wasn't my intention. I'm not an expert at all. Experts are qualified, I'm not.

Sleep well y'all.

Chris

[/quote]

Chris,

I didn't see it as a contradiction, but I did mean that you know a lot more about timber than most people on this forum, including me. I was relieved to get somewhere near yur figure.

Just re-read my reply to you Heath and it doesn't read too well, apologies to you!

The 530 kg figure came from passing a local builders yard a while back loaded with Douglas beams. The truck felt heavy and I weighed at their weighbridge and again on the way back, I worked out the weight from the cube of the timber I had and noted it down in my little black book.  It was winter felled, plantation grown Duggy so not overly dense or wet, I would guess the moisture content to have been around 40%.

Weight of timber will always be variable depending on it's density (the conditions it's been grown in), the time of year it's been felled, whether it's dried in the round or as planks....and many other anoraky variables.

Cheers, Chris

Archived