Complete France Forum

Drainage installation!

tj

Hi

I would be grateful for any feedback from anyone who have had to install a fosse in a limited space.

The problem is the property has only a small courtyard, I have been told it is ok to locate it there, but am confused, since I am aware that there should be drainage lines run from the tank?  The only foose I ever installed was in a house the states and it had 5 x 25 metre lines running from it, absolutely out of the question in this case.

Also the courtyard would be for parking, and imagine its not a good idea to drive over it :)

The other option is to place it in one of the outbuildings?

I suppose what I really need to know is the smallest area in which a fosse can be fitted, and if not possible are there any other options, chemically or otherwise to install a drainage system?

thanks

Tim

[quote user="La Guerriere"]

Has anybody out there installed one of the Eparco compact systems ? It looks pretty good to me .

Any idea of price for the "standard" 5m3 system ?

[/quote]

I looked on the web last night, and from what I was able to find it was about 7000€.

You can buy a tout eau, 3000 litre fosse septique and grease trap for around 600€, so it seems abit expensive to me.

Hi

Found out some interesting stuff today and on a visit to DDE yesterday,

First of the regulations for fosse installation, ie those bits about 3m from boundary, 5m from house, drainfield 20 m² etc, only applies to new builds. Or if you are not already occupying the property.

It is ok to continue using a non conforming fosse, ie the ancient type, and make new connections to it, for example the existing WC may well be outside, you know the ones, wooden shelf with a lid in the middle.So there is no problem installing an inside loo and connecting it to the existing tank.

The catch comes when a Declaration de Travaux is submitted to DDE, which needs to be done for any exterior changes, the Syndicat des Eaux is automatically informed an inspection made. If the existing drainage does not conform then you are obliged to make the neccessary changes.

However, it is the responsibility of Syndicat des Eaux to come up with the solution for you, and some or all of the cost is available as a grant or subvention as it is called here.

So, today I had an hour with two techies at the relevant Syndicat des Eaux office, and left very much happier than before the visit.

Basically, they said we should move in before submitting the Declaration de Travaux, so we can continue using the existing tank and leave them to come up with the solution.

The one remaining issue for me is that the existing tank can temporarily deal with our waste water, we dont need a courtyard full of , well you know what I mean !

They suggested a soil test, which would need to be done anyway before they can determine the correct system for our situation. They explained to how the test was done, and as it was pretty simple I asked if I could do it myself, they said there was no rule that the test needed to be done by any particular body, and gave me a guide as to what they require.

The test is quite simple, a hole needs to be dug, at least 1m deep ( if possible )the diameter being non specific.The hole is then filled with water for a period of 4 hours , that means for 4 hours you need to keep the hole full of water, so topping up as required. After 4 hours you need to measure the ( hopefully ) reducing water level every ten minutes for 2 hours, and record the readings in table form.

They have given me the equation for the subsequent calculations and will be glad to pass it on if you email me.

hope I havent bored you to death :)

Tim

Hi Tim

When the water guy did the soil test at our last place (approx 3 years ago & free then!) he used an auger drill, which took out a neat hole approx 4" bore to the depth needed. (Ours filled up with water almost immediately on the several locations tried in our spare field, hence the need for a raised drainage sand bed.) Much easier than digging, sorry if you already know this just trying to save you some effort.

Hi Bastet

As you may imagine, the issue of making deposits :) is of crucial importance in the decision to purchase the property. Hence I have trawled the web for imformation and there is loads of it.

At this property, I have now found out, there is no old fosse, the outside WC is an enclosed cesspit, and the tank in the courtyard takes rainwater and some water from the house , the kitchen is connected to something outside under the road, I guess a soakaway.

I am going to do a soil test Monday, and have already spoken to the owner who told me, and infact demonstrated the area is predominantly stone and earth, about 75 : 25, so am confident, I might even just use the existing hole where the rainwater and house wastewater goes, it is about 50 cm sq and 60 - 70 cm deep.

It turns out, as I mentioned previously, there are a couple of showers and plank type WC's, apparently these were for communal use, gets more interesting everyday:)

Since being unused to even a septic tank / fosse, the mere thought of a lesser being, "the cesspit" conjured up all kinds of images. But after some research today am happy to use this as a temporary measure.

If any one who like us is a little faint hearted about this sort of thing, you might find this website reassuring and as facinating as I did !

http://www.who.int/docstore/water_sanitation_health/onsitesan/ch04.htm

That's a fascinating site Tim, gives you lots to think about!

Our old place sounds just like yours, a basic simple system of pits & tanks  & soakaways but it all worked. Sounds like you  won't have any problems with soil permabilty, good luck with all your tests and the eventual installation!

Archived