Complete France Forum

Plumbing Question

marcar

We have a single storey farm house with a roof space above, near Mayenne Dept 53

I am thinking of having a wood burning stove fitted with a back boiler.

Does anyone know if an open vented system will be my only option?

With having to rely on gravity pressure feed for my hot water, and a cistern in the roof space.

I ask this as I am sure I have read somewhere that any type of sealed mains system would be out of question with this kind of boiler.

I would be interested in anyone’s comments especially those who have had similar done.

Many thanks Marcus.

That would be better for me if that is the case.

I just thought what might happen if the boiler gets too hot and starts to boil, where would it expand to?

I would be very interested to hear if it can be done without a header tank as it would save me a lot of work and space.

Hopefully someone already has fitted a wood burner with back boiler. And how does the system work?

Thanks for any help.

Marcus

[quote user="powerdesal"]Marcar, I think you must ALWAYS have a non-isolatable 'heat leak' radiator on any solid fuel fired system to allow excess heat to be 'dumped' irrespective of the water supply system. I am sure Anton will be along in a minute though.
[/quote]

I am much more likely to turn up in Aden Djibouti or Sanna or even Dannan to look up some folks I used to know on the road to Cairo or Damascus than be able to answer this question. The idea of not having somewhere to loose the excess heat from a wood burning stove scares me and there is not much which does that.

Do you think it would be ok to use a French copper cylinder with expansion chamber, under mains pressure, and coil inside it to heat the water from the boiler. And would I need a header tank still for the boiler circuit?

Thanks Marcus

hi

ok my view ... playing with sealed heating systems is not realy for the novice plumber ,you need to size the heating system to the expantion tank ect ect .I am not saying it`s beyond the scope of a novice but you really need some pro help to start you off..

ok just a Question for you ? what happens in the middle of winter when you have got your boiler going full blast the house is wonderfully hot , the hot water tank is full of hot water and as normall in france the leccy goes off..... and no heating pump !!!!! thats when you wish a pro fitted the system.

get help then diy it

dave

Thanks very much for all your help. Maybe you can give me an idea of what is the norm for fitting a wood burning heating system to a house of this type in France? I really would like to know as it would help on deciding how to plan the layout of the building ..etc. Any feedback from people who have had this work done would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again Marcus.

Archived