Complete France Forum

Winterising the plumbing......

Alcazar

Next visit will see me leave the house over winter. It has gas central heating, and hot water, which I'll leave on a frost type setting.

Question is, what should I do with the pipes leading COLD water TO the boiler, and those carrying hot water, not the central heating water, towards the bath/shower/bidet?

The whole lot is at present housed in the barn conversion, which. although rainproof, isn't windproof, and has no form of heating.

Ought I to switch off the water, and drain off all pipes, as I used to before the heating was fitted? What about the water TO the boiler? If I drain the pipes, don't I risk having airlocks when I have to switch it all on again to raise pressure?

Any advice welcome. Or should I just contact the plumber who installed it all?

Alcazar

Yes, Alcazar, do all of those things and look to your lagging (matron). We have done this over the past 6 years and so far, touch wood, not had any trouble. I suspect that the French brazed joints help. Main thing is to shut off your supply watercock so that if you get a leak you aren't paying for it from the thaw to when you arrive, which would be adding insult to injury.

Our lagging is the sort of thing you buy in the sheds, preformed plastic foam.

And I think we are a bit further north than you.

On the central heating I would ask the plumber what is in the pipes the parts that are in the house should be UK but if it were me I would have prefered to have antifreze in there in case the power trips out or stays off for days.

Any exposed copper pipe is likely to freeze and burst in winter in the Haute Vienne. Post move we had the exposed copper joints in out PER system freeze but not burst two hours further south and miles closer ot the sea. If it is copper or plastic add the thick solid foam which you can wrap round pipes. Cable tie any tight joints or curves and bind the joints with tape to stop air getting in. Plastic mains feed ( black plastic ) pipes will normally freeze but not burst if exposed to air in barns.

Agree with Dick's comments

Archived