Complete France Forum

Oil Central Heating problem

redmike

I did post this earlier in a central heating post but it got buried by a set of entries that went way off subject so thought I would have another go.

I have a property which has a defunct oil central heating system. By this I mean there is an oil tank buried under the drive, the central heating boiler unit is disconnected (and rusted up) in the cellar and all the radiators have been disconnected and removed.

I have no intention of renovating this system as I will be using mainly wood open fires, wood burners and maybe some storage heaters for bedrooms.

My question concerns the oil tank under the drive. I believe the tank to be nearly full as it was filled up shortly before some previous occupants died. This was about 30 years ago. The last occupants just 'pretended it wasnt there' and up until now I have been doing the same but that is mainly because I havent spent much time at the property. Now that I will be on site more the priority has been upped!

In short is it dangerous to leave the fuel there buried underground? I obviously need to find out the size of the tank as I have never seen it - the plans are being searched for! Talking to a neighbour he said he thought it would cost a lot to pump out and fill with sand - soemwhere in the region of 1000e but I am not sure on what this was based!

Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated.

There is no risk to you (explosions etc) in fioul, but there is a considerable risk to the environment. If the tank rusted and 600L of oil leaked into the water course, then you are talking ... well, not nice...

You will need to get it removed professionally, before filling the tank with (eg) concrete slurry.

BTW, after 30 years, the fioul will probably be useless, anyway.

Yes Nick - environmentally you are right - it should be removed.

I had already been told (much as I expected) that it would be of no use now.

As I am intending to redo my drive (the tank is below it) it is not even that much of a disruption.

Oh well - better get on with shopping around for devis!

Archived