Complete France Forum

Removal of polystyrene tiles

alnmike

We have rather attractive polystyrene tiles on the ceiling of our bedroom. And  I now can't stand them anymore.

Does anyone have a foolproof method for removail? I'm sure in the 70's

I remember my Dad suggesting painting with petrol, but I feel there may

be one or two Health & Safety concerns!! [:D] I suspect I'll have

to scrape them off but am evey hopeful of an easy life . . .

Thanks as ever.

Depends what they have been glued with.  If the ceiling was previously painted (like our previous house where we had this problem) then they will probably come off fairly easily with a stiff scraper as the paint will come away with the adhesive.  If it's a rubber based adhesive on a porous surface you've got a nasty job - scrape off the tiles and use a heat gun to scrape off the adhesive.

Here's a discussion on this sticky subject:

http://www.ureader.co.uk/message/1213978.aspx

Hi Cas, this has been on before, or something near. There was a LOT of discussion about using heat guns on rubber based adhesives. I can't find the thread. Quillan was in there somewhere if I remember coerrectlyy?

Best thing is to try the scraper and see if it comes away, they may have used a friendly glue. But petrol [:-))], if you do it this way, DON'T SMOKE! (mind you, that would shift the tiles!!)

I think the person we bought our house from, must have had shares in the people who make these things.  They are on all the ceilings.

We successfully removed the ones in the living room - took ages.  We gave up, tried using the crepi stuff - just fell down.  Then heavy duty ceiling paper - same result.

Ended up painting over them - quite a good result. 

You could buy a floor scraper , the type that plasterers use, if they are going to come off with relative ease then this tool will breeze through the job in no time. If however the adhesive used is going to ruin the finish of the plaster or plasterboard and so create a plastering job thereafter then the best option would be to overboard. You can easily find the joists and simply screw new boards over the existing, have done this countless times on damaged,artexed and tiled ceilings. You also have the bonus of added insulation and sound proofing.

Archived