Complete France Forum

Certificate of Urbanisme

Hello, although not a newcomer to France.  We are buying a house in Allier and  have been advised by the agent that the CU will take approx 3/4 months (It has already been a month)! We have bought two properties in France and have not come across this before. Sadly the other properties were sold to return to the UK. Now we are back to square one. Can anyone clarify exactly what the CU (Certificate of Urbanisme), is or does? The house is very small with attached garage and a small outhouse, my husband asked the agent if he could confirm that there was or isn't any reason why he couldn't make these additions into living accomodation, and we would like this requested on the compromis. What does this actually mean? I thought a quick chat up to the Marie and that would be that, but no - 3/4 Months?

I would really appreciate any help on this, In turn we have been in France for two and a half years and returned for two and a half years, with children now 11 years and 14 years old.(Previously living in the Charente). We would happy to give any help that we can.................Hay

The house is very small with attached garage and a small outhouse, my husband asked the agent if he could confirm that there was or isn't any reason why he couldn't make these additions into living accomodation, and we would like this requested on the compromis.

Hayley, you're proposing to change something that wasn't  habitable (for humans) into something that is.

I don't understand why your agent didn't explain this to you properly. How could s/he give you a definitive answer as to whether permission would be given? 

I hope it all works out OK. If you had it as a clause suspensive  and permission is denied, then theoretically, it will only be your time that's wasted. [:(]

You are more experienced at buying here than I am, BTW, so apologies if I have missed the point.

No, I don't think Tresco has missed the point. If conversion work is required then it is essential to have the clause suspensive that makes the sale conditional on a positive CU. The agent is quite correct that far, though I agree he/she ought to have explained it to you. 3-4 months is perfectly normal for a CU - it has to go through the maire, to DDE, and back to you via the maire so there is rather more to it than just a quick chat.

We have seen several people come unstuck, buying barns or long-disused houses, usually as private sales, only to find that a CU cannot be granted so rather than a potential house they are left with a poor agricultural building worth a fraction of what they paid. Had they known, or used a sensible agent, the CU clause would have been included and they could have pulled out of the deal.

In fact so many places have been built or converted without proper planning permission that we know of one notaire who puts in for a CU on some houses that do not necessarily need conversion, as he finds it the simplest and most reliable way of finding out if there are restrictions or if work has been done without authorisation, which could cause problems for the buyer.

A planning application will take an average two months, possibly more if other departments (such as historic buildings commission) are involved. When granted, there is a further two months for anyone to lodge objections. Hence the 4 months quoted by your agent. It is not wise to start building or committing to purchase before this period has expired. I know all about assurances from M le Maire! Given such in January, still awaiting planning permission in March.......in my case the holdup is new flood regulations covering height of ground floor living accommodation above sea level.

P-D de R.

Thankyou all very much - yes it was a condition suspensive so lets hope it not time wasted, the house would be too small if the CU isn't granted. I am amazed vendors put up with this time period, no wonder he was so desperate  for his deposit!

Hayley

Archived