Complete France Forum

Barn Conversion into 2 Gites

Tia

Sorry for being naive but can anyone explain the procedure that I have to go through when wanting to turn my barn into 2 gites for holiday rental. Obviously I have to get permisson and I assume this is done via the Maire. Any advice would be welcomed to get us started.

If these buildings are only barns and never used as a main house then you need to submit the full Permis de Construire for change of use. This form comes fromthe mairie, you will need drawings,photos and all the info you can give regarding the current and projected finish including details of the surrounding countryside now as well. This is then submitted to the local council, then the DDE and possibly higher depending on your location (park, monument historique etc). You should hear something within about 8/10 weeks from submission but don't be surprised at being turned down at first on the account of more info needed,these things rarely go without a hitch or two. You then have a limited time inwhich to start the work and must display a board with all the relevent permis details, the artisan etc in front of the property. If the project is over 170m² then you will have to employ and architect to see the project through but again depends on how you do the scheme. Do not be tempted to start any work until you have all the permis through in writing. As you are doing two buildings, the rate of TVA for renovation will probably be the full 19,6% as the work is not being done to improve the main residence so you need to budget for that, plus the drainage will also feature at the top of all discussions regarding permission and you may need to install further fosses etc.

Archived