Complete France Forum

Fosse location and a nearby water source

tonshun

Hi.  I have just viewed an old property i like, but it needs a fosse. The only place to put it (due to the way the garden is divided with neighbour) is about 8m from a well that comes with the property. The owner said that this well is not suitable for drinking, but ideal for veg/fruit tree watering etc. However, i read somewhere that a fosse must be at least 35m from a water source - does this mean drinking or river water or does it mean any water source? My estate agent said they'd try to find out, but i'm impatient to know the answer! So, if anyone can help - a big thankyou in advance!

Ive got a well about 1-2m away from where the water people/planner told me the fosse needs to be, after looking down the well he told me the fosse must be a minimum of 2m's down in the ground and then the sand filter which must be 10 or 15m's away needs to be 1m down and 5m x 5m.

Thanks for your response.

Dave - does having the sand filter in a 'bag' add much to the installation costs?

The fosse itself can easily be 5m from the well but there isn't space to put the filter 35m from the well - unless i wanted to cut down 20 fruit trees to make space and i would not want that!!  The well is directly behind the house/kitchen and then there would be about 15m-20m max  space for the fosse and filterbed. After that there are the fruit trees.

Archived