Complete France Forum

Restrictions on renovations

Mark

Well, not renovations as such, but painting.  The front of our new house will need a total repaint, but are there likely to be locally enforced colour scheme restrictions we should be aware of?  We're not going to paint it black, or anything wacky, probably more like creamy with bluey shutters, but perhaps a letter to the Mairie first just to make sure?  We'll need to know one way or the other well before actually moving in next Jan so that we've got time to get the paint from UK (too pricey here), and we won't be back down there until we actually sign the Acte de Vente, so I won't be able to ask locally, hence my hope of getting a few general pointers here.   

Fank yoooooo. [:)]

Depends on where the property is sited. Usually as long as you stick to the basic other colours around you it is fine but if you are really worried or would like something a bit different just a simple enquiry at the local mairie would suffice.

[quote user="Val_2"]Depends on where the property is sited. Usually as

long as you stick to the basic other colours around you it is fine but

if you are really worried or would like something a bit different just

a simple enquiry at the local mairie would suffice.[/quote]

I'm sure Val is right. Ours asked us to complete a déclaration de travaux on

which we had to detail the colour we were proposing to use (something

on the tin called the UN number, I recall). This was submitted and the

colour approved in about a month. Fairly painless, for once. We are in

an area which is seeking to retain traditional character and imposes

some restrictions, but I am sure this varies.

Usually, if you are situated within 600 metres of a listed monument (quite often this would be a church) you would come under the batiment de France regulations, and would need to submit paperwork to ensure you stay within the traditional character of the area.

Ooooh, on a totally different note, well done Admin, I've got all my formatting back, and a full sized message box [:)]

Archived