Complete France Forum

3 phase RCB

Deimos

I'm going to get a 3 phase RCB for the house. In fact, I'm going to buy it and get the local plumber/electrician to fit it. However, they seem to be rated at 25 amps or 40 amps (not the RCD cut-out bit but I assume the breaker/switch bit). Thus, for e.g. the 40 amp version, is this 40 amps per phase or across all three phases ? When I asked in Leroy Merlin they sort of gave me "no confidence" in their response - they just said you need the 40 amp version.

The EDF supply says 20 amps (on their cut-out switch thing) which I assume is 20 amps per phase or 60 amps is all three phases are fully loaded. Maybe this assumption is wrong. I certainly the only times it has ever cut out are during a close by thunderstorm and never because of excessive loading (even when I have switched my main boiler to use electricity as well).

Many thanks

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

I'm going to get a 3 phase RCB for the house. In fact, I'm going to buy it and get the local plumber/electrician to fit it. However, they seem to be rated at 25 amps or 40 amps (not the RCD cut-out bit but I assume the breaker/switch bit). Thus, for e.g. the 40 amp version, is this 40 amps per phase or across all three phases ? When I asked in Leroy Merlin they sort of gave me "no confidence" in their response - they just said you need the 40 amp version.

The EDF supply says 20 amps (on their cut-out switch thing) which I assume is 20 amps per phase or 60 amps is all three phases are fully loaded. Maybe this assumption is wrong. I certainly the only times it has ever cut out are during a close by thunderstorm and never because of excessive loading (even when I have switched my main boiler to use electricity as well).

Many thanks

Ian

[/quote]

A 40A 3-phase breaker is 40A per phase, likewise the EDF breaker. You don't want a rating less than the EDF breaker, or you won't get your whole "allocation"! If you have a 20A supply, I'd use a 40A breaker (if you have only 1).

The 20A EDF supplies the house (one box of breakers), plus the workshop(s) (another box of breakers), plus an unused flat box of breakers, plus what is going to be a separate box of breakers for an attic conversion. However, all except the house are going to be occasional and not much load (a few lights, etc.) so I sounds like I'd be best going for a 40A for the main house one and then a 25A one for the attic conversion (2 bedrooms and a bathroom, heated from main house gas boiler). The EDF master cut-out thing is actually in a barn (with the meter).

Am I right in thinking that the 25A RCB is a bit too close to the EDF 20A and thus might not be enough ?

Many thanks

Ian

Archived