Complete France Forum

Professional advice when buying French property.

I posted this as a reply to another thread and it seems to have generated some interest:

We used a French solicitor based in Plymouth who checked everything out with the immo and the notaire. She found one or two issues and was able to negotiate a substantial reduction in the price - more than saving her fee.

You don't necessarily have to live in the West Country, as it can all be done by phone/post.

Another benefit is that you get a free interpreter! All the documents come to you translated into English.

You wouldn't buy a house in the UK without a solicitor, would you?

We also paid a maitre d'oeuvre to check out properties that we were keen on to make sure that there were no hidden problems with the condition of the building[s].

Any potential purchasers needing the solicitor's details please pm me.

Anyone wanting help in the SE of 37 or N of 36 or S of 41 [70km radius of Loches], also pm and I'll see what I can do.

I can also recommend a good remover - pm for details.

Bonne courage, Peter

We also used a French solicitor based on Piccadilly in London for exactly the same reasons as Peter has mentioned above, when you're spending that much money you want to know you have understood exactly what you are getting into.  We also had a builder check over our property before we bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived