Complete France Forum

achitect

pete

First: as a new member to the site  I would like to say HI to all of the participants of this forum 

I am looking for some advice regarding renovation of a 200  year old house that I have purchased in Pons area 17.

My intentions are to transform this old town house into a family holiday home,

So far I have completed the purchase of the house with no problems and now I am ready to move  to stage two(renovation).

I have spoken to a French architect who visited the house, we discussed what was required

I have returned to the UK and received letter from Christel with some prices that I must agree to before she starts her work, these are

A/Etat des lieux (measuring and realisation of plans ) 1500 euros

B/avant projet ( first draft of the project ) 1000 euros

C/ Dossier de demand de permis de constuire (building permits dossier ) 2000 euros

total + tax = 5382 euros

I have no idea if these prices are normal or not .

Am I taking the right road by using an architect?

,I hope some one on this forum can advise me as all advise would be welcome

Many thanks

Hi Pete

The size of your house determines whether or not you actually need an Architecte to submit plans for approval >170 sqm I think you do.

Secondly, you may want an architecte in order to help with technical/building issues, drawing up a rough budget, obtaining quotes from builders and overseeing the eventual project.

The quote from your architecte will vary based upon what you want them to do and the scale of the project/house (the detail behind your A, B and C). Our house is about 350sqm and we've paid so far about 9K euro for the preliminary studies of the cadastral, overview of works needed, outline budget, drawings and outline specifications of categorised works and a (somewhat laughable) schedule. You should also receive a 3 or 4 page template document which sets out the costs in reasonable detail.

We've pretty much fallen out with our Architecte now. He took months and months of nagging to do anything (though he was quite quick to submit invoices for each stage in advance). 12 months after buying the place (we commissioned him two months after buying) we received the initial documents and drawings. Almost a year later, we've received hardly any quotes at all. It took a threat to issue a complaint through the regional Ordre des architectes to get him to move again, before this latest time, hibernating apparently until next spring.

So, my advice is to be absolutely sure your architecte is available to see the job through to its end and you can agree a schedule that he/she will work towards. The costs you show seem OK (you say its a family house) though I would check what's involved on the planning permission bit because unless you're planning more than a renovation (i.e. no new extensions/windows etc) it seems to suggest a bit more work than the other stages.

Best of luck!

[quote user="pete"]

A/Etat des lieux (measuring and realisation of plans ) 1500 euros

B/avant projet ( first draft of the project ) 1000 euros

C/ Dossier de demand de permis de constuire (building permits dossier ) 2000 euros

total + tax = 5382 euros

I have no idea if these prices are normal or not .

Am I taking the right road by using an architect?

[/quote]

If the works are extensive and you can't handle it yourself then I'd say that you're right to use an architect.  But he sounds incredibly expensive!

When remodelling 130msq of the first floor the architect drew up plans, redrew with some changes we requested, submitted the permis de construire, got work estimates (3 quotes each for plumber, electrician, mason, charpentier-couvreur and menuisier) and managed the project for 3,600€ plus VAT.  This was in 2005.

Project management is A VERY IMPORTANT JOB - drawing up the schedule of works for each artisan, chairing a weekly progress meeting and keeping everyone sweet and on schedule.  It is not included in your architect's price list.  Unless you are confident of managing it yourself it could save you a lot of headaches.  It was only about 10% of our architect's bill.

my house  has180sqm of habitable surface but this takes into account the outbuildings that will be converted at some stage.

I was hoping to renovate in two stages , the main house first, then the out houses .

the main house is two stories at the front but 1.25 at the rear , I was planning on  building up the rear  to the same level as the front.  this  will allow me  to add a master bedroom to the rear.

My game plan is to get the architect to draw plans,  and get some  permits, then get  prices and  make a decision as to what road to take .

Thanks for your advice

Pete

Archived