Complete France Forum

Breton decoration

ty ar mor

Not the least offended. But there can be a certain tendency on these forums which is rather intolerant of anyone who brings any UK attitudes or practices with them...

When we showed our changes and decoration to our neighbours (I know, small sample) they were a bit surprised that we had bothered and quite appreciative that it was light and airy - but there was no hint that they would ever do the same themselves. And they live in a relatively new build house, with dark wood ceilings, heavy oak furniture and brown furnishings. Their attitude is that its our house and we are free to do whatever we like to it, as explicitly said to me when I asked them if they minded us putting in a window which overlooks their land.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, all this is good for me to learn, being a relative newcomer.  I have been visiting the same village for over 30 years (since I was 6) and finally fulfilled the dream 18 months ago, so we are still a little "wet around the ears".  We don't live out there permanently, due to my husband's work commitments ( and the fact that the average wage in Finistere is €15,000 per annum, if you can even find a job) and we are still quite young for this kind of thing.  I very much appreciate the feedback and the photos of what can be achieved - we are spending our 10th wedding anniversary out there plumbing in an extra dehumidifier (oh yes, south Breton coast, NEVER take pine out there!) and ripping off 1970s tiles!! 

Dick, we all know that 'habitable' in normal-speak means a dump [:D]

Wish  I had your tiles because I wouldn't be in this dilemma now. Love the units too.  I hate cooking  (or cooking hates me) so my kitchen is functional and simple.

I wouldn't dare post a photo of my living room tiles on here as I'll probably provoke a wave of vomiting among fellow forumers.  I get a headache just looking at them. Everyone keeps telling me they are worth a fortune but don't care, hate them!

I've now decided that painting them is the only way out, however, I may be lynched by my local friends who think they are 'classe'. Yeh, right!

I did a search on the forum to see if there was anything on painting these horrid things but sadly nothing. I did take a photo to Castorama a while back and the paint guy looked at me in horror at the idea of me painting them but recommended a 'Sol' paint as well as a carrelage paint but I tend to think they are for wall tiles and not floor ones. 

Oh well, I will just have to continue my reseach.

[quote user="Susan"][quote user="Miki"]My thoughts on the dark wood and furniture in Brittany, is simply so the fly spit don't show [:)]

[/quote]

Is that a mis-spelling in the word after fly??

You are right, those stains are sooo difficult to get rid of, especially from soft furnishings.

[/quote]

OK Susan, fly poo !!

And what a real nuisance as you say, to get it off soft furnishings, can I ask what you use and how succesful it is ? Tina has tried a few but blowed if I can remember, I think Vanish was one.

[quote user="ty ar mor"]I suggest tiling over them, apparently possible, or transfers, which we have used as a short term solution in our kitchen...maybe not for floors though.....Is it worth taking them up and starting again?[/quote]

Transfers... Never thought of that. I'll look into it to see suitability for floor.

Re taking them up, will have to ask permission - the quartier is protected - and not sure it would be approved. My neighbours had to ask permission for two internal walls to be knocked down and only one was approved. Something about keeping the architectural spirit intact.

If approved, it really would be a pain as the area is quite large and I already live here. My artisan also looked at me askew when I discussed taking them up a few months ago. Not that he couldn't do it but yet another one who thinks I'm ga ga to want to touch them.

Tiling over them is not, however, possible due to the configuration of the flat.

Thanks for the suggestion,  I will research the Transfer option. Quite keen to find a solution soon.

[quote user="LanguedocGal2"]

I absolutely hate them. [/quote]

If you hate them, rip them out.

Painting them will be a temporary measure, and it will look it. If you can't afford what you want at the moment, paint them (you will be happy for a while). Or, rip them out and be 'rough' for a while, and save up to get what you want.

Transfers will cost a lot of money, and you will still hate the tiles.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Is that a collection of honeypots on the top blue shelf ?[/quote]

Yes - it's a small fraction of Julie's collection - the part that migrated, I don't think any were bought in France.

This is how the kitchen looks now.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/DSC_0018.jpg[/IMG]

This is the room seen from the kitchen end:

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/DSC_0022.jpg[/IMG]

The colombage is faux, as the walls were pretty uninteresting and not very flat. The neighbour was amazed that we knocked two rooms through, as it makes it harder to heat. She was right, so we are thinking of a freestanding woodburner in this room if we can sort out a flue - we got the idea from Paul Punch, who has a very nice one in his kitchen.

[quote user="Tresco"]I could just about live with that, Dick.[;-)][:)][/quote]

Second that! But would be wasted on me...

After the first photo, I wondered if you had knocked 2 rooms into one but you answered that.

Tresco

Not sure I'd be allowed to rip up the tiles. The living rough until I could afford what  I wanted would be no problem though. I sort of hoped the transfers would be an easy way of covering the garish design. 

It's an odd thing really, because all the rooms have the red tomettes  I adore but the living room and an entrance hall got lumbered with two different types of yukky tiles: no doubt a very trendy status thing at the time, as ripping out fireplaces in Victorian houses was during the 70s.[:(] .

Whatever I choose to do will no doubt be considered horrid in a generation or two as well. Such is the decorative cycle.

LG, are the tiles you hate old?

I replied to your post on an earlier page, but now realise you may be subject to some kind of 'rule' or something.

If they are not, then I truly believe that you will never love them, no matter what you do.

If they are, (and subject to some mad rule)  then I think you should move.[:-))]

[quote user="Miki"]

OK Susan, fly poo !!

And what a real nuisance as you say, to get it off soft furnishings, can I ask what you use and how succesful it is ? Tina has tried a few but blowed if I can remember, I think Vanish was one.

[/quote]

For bed linen I have to do a 90°c wash and also use the K2r mousse spray (very good) and a vanish tablet for backup. For the loose sofa covers, the stains come off a little easier, at 60°c. In the summer stuff often has to be washed twice or more especially if I miss the stains the before the first wash. I don't enjoy July and August!

If you wouldn't normally choose a 90°C wash, for fly "stains" I get good results at 40°C (occasionally need 60°) by daubing:

Dylon FabricCare Stain Solve Pre-Wash 1 (with a blue cap)

It's also very effective on stains like make-up, chocolate, grass ([;-)]) sauces... and it gets rid of "campaign medals" on shirt fronts...[:P]

http://www.dylon.co.uk/household/FabrCare/Stains.htm

Unfortunately I've only seen it in the UK so buy supplies when I'm there. Supermarkets used to sell it but nowadays I usually have to go to an old-fashioned ironmongery sort of ship. It is the most effective stain-remover I've found.

[quote user="Tresco"]

LG, are the tiles you hate old?

I replied to your post on an earlier page, but now realise you may be subject to some kind of 'rule' or something.

If they are not, then I truly believe that you will never love them, no matter what you do.

If they are, (and subject to some mad rule)  then I think you should move.[:-))]

[/quote]

You are right, I will never love them.

Yes they are OLD but not ancient so can't quite see the fuss. I spoke to  'those in the know' this morning and it seems the ripping up option is not possible: not because of the age of the tiles but because they are of the ''period''.  Had they been older and not been of the 'epoque', it seems  I could have ripped them up.  Well, that cheers me up[:@]. They are not happy with the painting option either but can't stop me.

Would still love to hear from anyone who has actually painted over 19th century floor tiles though. What is the wear and tear like?

Ali-cat, re Dick's Kitchen - Get in line![:D]

[quote]

For bed linen I have to do a 90°c wash and also use the K2r mousse spray (very good) and a vanish tablet for backup. For the loose sofa covers, the stains come off a little easier, at 60°c. In the summer stuff often has to be washed twice or more especially if I miss the stains the before the first wash. I don't enjoy July and August!

[/quote]

And that's without those damned birds (sorry Chris !!) doing their stuff on the bed linen on the line as well !

We bought two sofas with loose covers for our living room and in..................................dark blue !! We learned pretty quick after the 2 sofas in the residents lounge (in cream and light grey)  got hit a few times but in general, that room suffers very little fly damage.

What is K2r mousse spray and where do you purchase it ?

It wouldn't reflect on you, sunglasses ready, you have already said it is not to your taste [;-)]. Having said that, I don't think I would want to show some of the things in our house that was done in the late 60's early 70's, albeit all are being ripped out [:-))]!

It is hard to imagine that original tiles dating from the 19th century would be ugly. But after your description, I guess I have to believe you. [:D]

[quote user="Miki"][quote]

[/quote]

And that's without those damned birds (sorry Chris !!) doing their stuff on the bed linen on the line as well !

We bought two sofas with loose covers for our living room and in..................................dark blue !! We learned pretty quick after the 2 sofas in the residents lounge (in cream and light grey)  got hit a few times but in general, that room suffers very little fly damage.

What is K2r mousse spray and where do you purchase it ?

[/quote]

Miki, I get the birds pooing on my washing too, isn't it supposed to be lucky??? The Kr is just a détachant that you spray on to stains prior to putting in the wash. You can get it in most supermarkets, my local SuperU does it. It was recommended to me by a local resto who use it for their tablecloths, which as you can imagine get a lot of hard-to-remove stains. The mousse seems to work a lot better than the liquid K2r you can also buy.

I still have 2 very light covered sofas - but the  dark throws come out in the summer! I always advise guests to shut the doors and windows during the day to keep the flies out and the house cool, but of course, they never do.[:(]

[quote user="WJT"]

It wouldn't reflect on you, sunglasses ready, you have already said it is not to your taste [;-)]. Having said that, I don't think I would want to show some of the things in our house that was done in the late 60's early 70's, albeit all are being ripped out [:-))]!

It is hard to imagine that original tiles dating from the 19th century would be ugly. But after your description, I guess I have to believe you. [:D]

[/quote]

Do you have any precious 60s/70s wallpaper? Mine have disappeared now but they were truly precious.

Hate to say this, but Languedoc is awash with ghastly ( according to my taste) 19th century / early 20th century floor tiles. Some of my friends have different patterned tiles in every room  of their houses/flats, so it's obviously how things used to be. The locals are clearly used to them as they have grown up with them. There are of course some lovely designs too but the ones that are heavily patterned irritate me.  

When I viewed the place, there was so much furniture in the room, I didn't notice how horrible they were.

Archived